My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you remove a location?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

We're an online business that had a temporary showroom at a location. I've suggested an edit, I've claimed my business (and successfully verified it) but can't find a way to remove the location. 

• When logged in to my business I see various options like permanently close (or never existed) or remove this listing but we still exist so those doesn't make sense.
  • If I click 'All locations' from the left menu, I see the option to see and download published locations but no option to remove it.
  • If I click the option to manage the location, I get taken back to the my business page but still don't see ay option to remove the location.

The business still exists and has a phone number so I don't want to delete it - how do I simply remove a location?

Cheers

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Just bumping this as we're totally confused and need to remove a location, thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Bumping again as we're still confused.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
June

Re: How do you remove a location?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You can't really remove a location on Google Maps. It will always show for branded searches, which is why situations like this can cause so many problems. If you have moved from that location and will not be staffing it, then you will want to mark as "permanently closed."

If someone does a non-branded search, this location will not show up in maps once it is marked as closed. 

permanently closed.png

If you have moved to a new location, then you can go through the same process and click the button for "moved elsewhere"

moved elsewhere.pngmoved elsewhere

If you do not have a public facing office, staffed during normal business hours, then your business does not qualify for a GMB listing that displays the address. If you are a local business serving a local (within 20 mi) service area, then you can elect to use your home address and hide the address from maps. From here you can also set the service area - anything over 20mi-30mi is ineffective.  

I'm not sure what your business is (no details listed), so I can't really help you further until you provide some details about your business.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply, marking the business as permanently closed when it's not closed still doesn't make any sense. I suspect this would make more sense if this service was called Google Maps My Business. Google My Business makes it sound like I'm marking my business as being closed across all of Google. Cheers

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If it's an online business with a temporary showroom that is now not operational, that is the correct answer. Please review the guidelines for listing your business on Google Maps - https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

What Google doesn't want to happen is someone googling the address/business again only to find an empty room. That's a bad user experience. Since you mentioned the location was temporary, and you're an online business, this seems to make the most sense. I don't know enough about your business to determine a next best solution given the facts you presented in the thread. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If the name of this service had the word 'map' in it then all of this discussion and confusion wouldn't exist.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a similar issue. I have had a customer facing retail store for 4 years  I am on Google Maps and have claimed my business. I have now decided to close the retail store only and continue my on line e-commerce store that was actually started before the retail store was created.

I need the retail store listing to not show up any longer so people do not try to drive over. I still am in business and the phone number has not changed. I agree with the OP that it makes no sense to say permanently closed because they will not look for me on line thinking I went out of business.....which I did not. only the staffed retail location has been closed

I do not want to change anything that would affect my SEO for the web store.

Streetsmartoutfitters.com

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Daniel, I'm the original poster of this question, here's what I've discovered...

The name of this service, 'Google My Business' makes it seem like you're managing your business across all of Google but in reality it's just Google Maps - a better name would've been 'Google Maps My Business'.

The way to achieve you're goal is to remove your business and mark it as 'permanently closed' (another unfortunate and confusing term used by Google). This will remove the location and info from Google Maps but will not effect your website or search listings. It will however change the location information which shows up when people search which is of course what you want - right?

I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

Ben

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Daniel,

If you are operating an online-only business at this point, so the customer-facing brick and mortar location has closed, this is what you will need to do in order to help the location drop from Google Maps searches. You can still rank organically fine, so no worries there. Maps (GMB) and Organic use slightly different elements to rank sites. 

If you start your own thread, then we can dive into specifics about your situation. If you have a head office where you run operations, then you would be eligible for a listing on Google Maps. We just need to dig into details and keep the threads separated, so we're not talking about two different businesses in the same thread. That gets confusing.