My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you get reviews for the computer illiterate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a problem, and hope you can help. It might sound like an oxymoron but I have an online business but my customers are computer illiterate. They do fine me online at my website www.activescooters.com.au, and we complete the sale, but asking them to do a review online has resulted in a 100% failure. The majority of the time, the online search was done by another family member or friend. My customers are generally over 80 years old and seem to be unable to do things like "create a google account and create a review". Many of them are unable to write, let along type on a keyboard.

Question is....When I'm with my customer completing the sale, can I be "the scribe" and write a review (using my iPad) for my customer?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do you get reviews for the computer illiterate?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi @John M,

Unfortunately, it actually sounds like you may not be eligible to have a Google My Business listing given that you noted your are an online business. This is strictly against our guidelines. In order to be listed with Google My Business, you'd need to meet with customers face to face during your stated business hours (either at your location or theirs depending on if you are a storefront or a service area business) Perhaps it would be a better tactic to offer a review-writing portal on your own site so that users can complete all the necessary actions right there? 

Best,
Liz

GMB Community Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank Liz,

Sorry, I probably exaggerated my business, it relies 95% online for marketing, but 100% all our customer interactions are face-to-face, either at our retail outlet or customer place of residence. Back to my question...When I'm with my customer (face-to-face) completing the sale, can I be "the scribe" and write a review (using my iPad) for my customer? Thanks, John

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @John M, according to Google's review guidelines the reviews to be written by the actual reviewer. 

Another thing, Google also prohibits on-site review station. You would likely see a lot of your reviews get filtered off the page if they are coming from your iPad.

There are some great tools out there that help manage the customer feedback process. "Get Five Stars" is one I recommend.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John M
August 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Colan, I think you've answered my questions....Google prohibits onsite review stations. Sounds like I'll have to walk the customer through the process on their device. Cheers, John