AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you delete a My Business location without deleting its Google+ page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have some questions about the confusing topic of brand page vs location page. So just some history, we have an ecommerce store and no physical location.  My partner set up our GMB account and somehow ended up setting up our existing Google+ account for our company as a brand page and then separately created a local verified business page.  He was concerned that we had two different google plus pages so I researched very briefly and found how to convert the brand page to a local page which I did.  

So unfortunately I did that before really delving into this topic and fully understanding the difference between the brand page and local page and now I realize that we ONLY need a brand page since we don't have a physical location.  So bottom line is we need to get the local page deleted. However, I don't want to loose the google+ with custom URL and the YouTube account that is associated with the local verified listing right now.  

I see that the system renamed the original location google+ page as "backup of ###" and now it is shown as a brand page. My question is why can't I just do the same thing again and do a feature swap.  Can't I go into manage locations and associate the location with the current "backup of ####" brand page which will make it the google+ account for the location page. Which in turn will make the google plus account for the current location page a brand page called "backup of ###2"? Then, I can ask google support to help me delete the location page with google plus account altogether?  

What happens with the youtube account that is associated with the current location page it is in this process?

From everything that I have read, everyone keeps saying that this can't be done to convert from location page to a brand page, but the above seem to make sense to me.  What I am I missing?  This time I wanted to understand what the ramifications are before I just up and do it. lol. 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!! 

Shanelle

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shanelle J
August 2016

Re: How do you delete a My Business location without deleting its Google+ page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shanelle

The short answer to your question is - you can't do it because the functionality is not in place in either the front end (you won't find an option to associate your local listing with any other pages now) or in the back end (the database connections are not there).

I would suggest:
1. Setting up a new brand page and moving the YouTube account to that new page.
2. Contacting GMB support (https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_l?rd=3#) and asking them to remove the incorrect local listing as you are not eligible.
3. On the same call asking if they can move the custom URL to the new brand page - it is unlikely but possible.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shanelle J
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shanelle

The short answer to your question is - you can't do it because the functionality is not in place in either the front end (you won't find an option to associate your local listing with any other pages now) or in the back end (the database connections are not there).

I would suggest:
1. Setting up a new brand page and moving the YouTube account to that new page.
2. Contacting GMB support (https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_l?rd=3#) and asking them to remove the incorrect local listing as you are not eligible.
3. On the same call asking if they can move the custom URL to the new brand page - it is unlikely but possible.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Priya. Yes, the backend is what I was really worried about. We will go ahead create and new Brand Page and work with GMB support to move Youtube and hopefully custom URL. Thanks for your time.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Shanelle J: you can move the YouTube channel yourself! (I'm not sure GMB support can help you with that)

Just make sure you are signed in as the Owner of both Pages, then follow these instructions:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3056283

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am greatly troubled by what just happened and need a solution asap.  Without going into the violation of our business information when I set up a Location account, I just need to know how to delete the Business account.  We are virtual, have a G+ Brand page and we use the Google Productivity Suite.  I got spammed by a service which is now listing incorrect and incomplete information about my company and I nearly blew a gasket.    I went onto the Google help and the instructions to delete are not correct.  Can anyone truly help me and not send the incorrect instruction link provided by Google.  Disappointing is an understatement. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Portland RI don't know the answer to your question, but I am going to suggest you start a new topic, as that is more likely to be seen by an expert.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are so kind!! Will do!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This happened to me as well only I was in the phone with a Google Represenative who reassured me that if I removed a duplicate all of my data and settings would migrate to the remaining 1 Google Business listing. So I did as she said and now I’ve lost our law firms YouTube page and Google Plus profile not to mention the business link from a 4 year old Adwords Express account. The represenative didn’t listen to anything I said she just kept saying the duplicates had no effect on our accounts. Is Googke outsourcing customer service for this type of user issues- duplicate removal?  

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Mark P I"m sorry to hear that happened. Unfortunately it sounds like Google My Business support only considers your Google My Business listing, and not any other Google services that might be associated with it. 

Maybe try creating a new topic here in the Google My Business Help Community explaining what happened in detail, and someone can help you figure out what to say to support. 

Also, try this: 

1. Sign in to your Google Brand Pages dashboard at myaccount.google.com/brandaccounts

Be sure to sign in with the same Google account you use to sign in to Google My Business

2. At the top you should the option "Deleted Accounts"   - hopefully you will see your deleted Brand Account listed there

3. Follow the steps to reinstate it.

i don't know if that would work in your situation or not, but it's worth at least checking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Peggy. I’ll take a look at our brand account and see if our other services data and linked account is still available for recovery.