My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do some locations get listed automatically on Google Maps?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client is saying that they want to create a map marker on Google maps for their residential construction project. As far as I know, we shouldn't claim it via Google My Business. But, how do we otherwise list it on Google Maps? They showed us examples of their competitors' projects showing on Google Maps, though those locations have not been claimed. It's seems as though they show up there automatically... :smileysurprised:

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: How do some locations get listed automatically on Google Maps?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Anish K

what do you refer to as a "residential construction project"?

From my understanding  a "construction project" is a temporal matter and as soon the project is finished and the residential home are sold or rented the there is no more any need to show or handle it as a GMB item.

But as a temporal matter it isn't eligible for a GMY listing anyway

Please make sure the thing your client is trying to get on Maps fits their Guidelines for representing your business on Google

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
From my understanding those guidelines apply if you are creating a business listing, not if just adding something to a map.

Finding the relevant terms nowadays though is like finding a needle in a haystack (on a map)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Terry S

this forum is about  business listings  on Google

You can indeed map other things like landmarks streets and other stuff through MapMaker (resp. GMaps)

But even then: temporal projects are not allowed on Maps.

Learn more here: support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/2642650?hl=en&ref_topic=2802435

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I assumed from the OP that he already new he couldn't create it via a business listing method.

The problem with that link is that no one creating a Map via Google Maps would ever see it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You're right Terry. I know that the location shouldn't be marked on the map via GMB. Well, then what I'd like to know is, what alternatives do we have? The client would like to let people know that they have these projects running and would like to display them on Google Maps... Actually, I'm intrigued by the map markers showing automatically on Google Maps for their competitors. The client doesn't understand tech stuff. So, I would need to give a proper justification for the question: "How come our competitors have their projects showing up on Maps?" If we use map maker & place the location on the website of the project, would Google automatically detect it and display it to the public?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello Anish,
Could you please provide Maps URL for these competitors listings to see what they are.
Thank you

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It's almost impossible to know what is and isn't allowed anymore :-(

From my last count there are at least 5 different support sections relating to different aspects of Maps.

Sign in and go to Google Maps, click the hamburger menu, click my maps and there is an option to create a map there.

Good luck in finding guidelines as to what is allowed though, here in the UK it still uses mapsengine that has different guidelines to map maker.