My Business
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I get added to the Maps area for my service type business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a verified business and when you type my service type business in the town i'm in, I am not included on the map list section.  All of my information is correct and i've had the business verified for close to 4 months.

Active Chiropractic of Cadillac

119 N Shelby St. Cadillac MI 49601

231-468-3777

https://plus.google.com/b/108460970087330435606/108460970087330435606/posts?gmbpt=true&pageId=108460...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I get added to the Maps area for my service type business?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
When you login to your MyBusiness account there are no holds on your account currently, correct? Sometimes users will flag a location and you may drop out of results. It looks like you have your business labeled correctly under "Chiropractor" as well.

My suggestions are to do the following:
-Add a business introduction with relevant keywords and information
-Beef up your listing by adding a few more sub categories
-Seek out reviews to this listing to increase it's trust value.
-Add more photos of the interior, exterior and staff to increase searchable real estate for your business

These things have helped other businesses I have encountered.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ryan K (Community Manager)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jake B,

@Jordan Burleson had some great ideas there, and you should definitely follow his advice about getting more reviews (always a good idea) though things are a little more complicated than just that. Also as a small aside, if you look at Google's guidelines, they say:

• Use as few categories as possible to describe your overall core business from the provided list.

Do NOT just add random categories to beef up your listing, though if you have other categories that should be there to describe your business that 'chiropractors' doesn't quite hit, feel free to add them then. I'll often take a look at successful competition and see what they have to get some ideas, but don't you've got more important things than that for the moment... leave your categories alone. 

The real issue... I don't work with Doctor's much, but I noticed you have the listing you sent, and you also have a second listing for yourself as a doctor, here. The guidelines I linked to above talk about how doctors are supposed to list themselves. If you're the only doctor at that location, there's supposed to be only one listing, though if you have two public facing doctors at that location, then you're allowed three (one for the business, and one for each practitioner, and so on). There's a good chance that the way things are set up now, you're getting hit by a duplicate penalty. There's a lot of ins and outs to Doctor stuff, but I think best practice here would be to contact support and see if you can get those two profiles merged. 
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en

I'm not seeing you in the list for chiropractors either, so you've definitely got something wrong under the hood. My guess is this isn't it, but if you fix that and you still aren't showing up, I noticed you have basically zero backlinks, and very few citations (and I didn't check your website at all to see how well it was set up) so it could be that Google's just not seeing much about you anywhere, and doesn't trust what it knows about you well enough to show it to searchers, so that's what I'd look into next if the duplicate thing doesn't fix it. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've deleted my personal google plus and that other google plus page (doctor page) so i'm hoping something works because between my website, business Facebook page, and the google plus business page I do have traffic coming through each so I don't understand why i'm not listed on maps.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

when you delete, it just removes it from your dashboard, it doesn't actually get rid of the listing in the database. Or... where did you delete it? Either way, it's still live here:
https://plus.google.com/114861858565087372926/about

and I don't see any deletion requests on map maker. 

Call Google support and ask them to merge, or actually delete it. You shouldn't have those two. 
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en

And yeah, the Google maps stuff is fussy... awesome that you've got stuff working for you in other arenas, but if Google decides you've got some kind of a penalty (a duplicate could do it) then that would definitely impact your rankings. Frustrating when there's a bunch of other businesses that aren't following the rules that just haven't gotten caught yet, but eh. Good luck getting it sorted out!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
btw your business page isn't named as "Active Chiropractic of Cadillac" but as "Active Chiropractic of Cadillac, Dr. Jacob Brown"
I get you for "Active Chiropractic of Cadillac near Cadillac"
But I admit not getting you on "Chiropractor in Cadillac" or for "Chiropractor near Cadillac"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thank you for the feedback, I just added the "Dr..." part yesterday to give of an accurate description.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate your help and feedback with this. To attempt to remedy the situation I took control of the second page and created a google plus page and then deleted it thinking it would delete the listing. I've contacted customer support twice, the first time the lady told me to delete the account and if it came up again then I could call and request a merge. The second time I called after I deleted it as a google plus page the gentleman told me that now I need to wait and give the listing time to update. I'll keep following up with all of this as it's important to me to have a listed presence. I really appreciate all the help.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

For sure, having a good showing in the maps is definitely an important part of people finding you. 

For future reference, deleting pages in your account doesn't actually get rid of them in the database in most cases. If they're unclaimed you can mark them for deletion in mapmaker, otherwise you'll generally need to call in. Good luck getting it sorted!