My Business
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I delete the location and map from my business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I run a home business and would prefer that my home not associated with the business as most connection with customers happens online and over the phone. There is no need to meet with customers in my home. Is there a way to delete the location mapping when googling my business?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: How do I delete the location and map from my business?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Matthew B

I'm  supposing you run a business and have any face to face contact to your customer.

(otherwise you wouldn't eligible for a local business at all)

In case your customers have to meet you at your home it does't make any sense to hide the address or not showing the business on Map.
But in case you never service your customers at your home (instead serving them at their home) I recommend specifying a service area and unchecking the option "I serve customers at my address"

Doing so your address will get hidden to the public and it shouldn't pinpoited on Maps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am a photographer, so all contact face-to-face is done at an off-site location. Not in my home.
Thank you for the prompt reply! I will give that a try. I, unfortunately, have to wait for a pin to be mailed to my house for edits to take place, but I am hopeful this will solve it!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

To expand a little on what @Helmut Geissler said, having your address showing when you're a from-home business can even get your listing taken down for not being in line with Google guidelines, so it's very important to get that changed as soon as possible. I've even heard that Google uses their street-view cars to double check things, and your business can get flagged if their images of your street corner don't look like there's a business there. I don't know if it's possible to get that edit made before your postcard arrives, but it should be done ASAP to keep your profile in good standing. If it was me, if you can't do it from your dashboard without the postcard, I'd try calling into support and seeing if they can do it for you. You can contact Google here:
https://support.google.com/business/#topic=4539639&contact=1

Also as a head's up, not every local business directory gives you as many options as Google does, but most of the big ones do let you keep your address hidden if that's important to you for privacy reasons. I don't have an up-to-date list of directories that give you that option, but it'll be something to keep an eye out for as you manage your business information around the web. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Matthew B

The advice given by @james w regarding changing your business details is slightly incorrect. Making any changes to your dashboard information before your PIN arrives will invalidate your PIN and you'll have to request a new one.

Also, calling support to make the changes may trigger a spam alert - this is after all something that spammers do, set up a business with 'real details' and then slowly, slowly make small changes until it is no longer correct.

I highly recommend waiting until the PIN arrives and your business has been verified before making any changes. If there is a penalty applied having a verified business helps immensely when calling support, as opposed to calling about one that isn't verified

His other advice regarding hiding your address on other directories is spot-on though.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Good to know @PriyaC. I wasn't sure on making changes before a pin arrived, just knew it could cause him problems having his address showing as the wrong kind of business. Thanks for the clear up!