My Business
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I create a new category that actually fits my business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello business community (and hopefully someone at Google),

My business is towing and assisting boats on the water.  The only business category I can find is "Towing service"  which is aimed at roadside assistance for autos and trucks.

What I need is a category "Boat Towing" or "On water boat towing" or even "Marine Towing and assistance" to differentiate us from the AAA towing businesses.

I am constantly getting calls from people, usually in the middle of the night, sometimes drunk, who want their car towed.  They search for "Towing", find my number and hit dial without actually looking at the business name which is "Columbia River Marine Assistance" which might give a clue if they would actually read it.

I have contacted local-help@google.com and I am getting someone who keeps sending me a form letter back that says, among other worthless advice

"I understand that you are looking for the right business category. However, you are unable to find it from the options available on our drop down list as we no longer allow custom categories in order to bucket similar businesses to provide the best user experience, we suggest you to choose a category, or categories, that suits your business the closest from among the categories available within the dashboard. We’re working on improving the way categories work, and by sticking with the categories we have defined, we believe we can better connect customers and businesses."

The last sentence really grates me. In no way having my business in an imprecise category is "better connecting customers and business"  Its wasting my time and whoever is looking to get their car towed.

Is there any way to get a hold of someone at Google that can actually create a new category?

Thanks in advance,

RonM

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: How do I create a new category that actually fits my business?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ron M

Unfortunately Google cannot cover all categories and they state you should pick the nearest possible category, which you have done.

Although it is in you name, make sure you add Marine towing within your businesses description, if you have not already done so.

I will add Marine Towing to the category suggestion that we have access to, but it all depends on Google and whether there are enough searches to warrant it.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Tim, we do get excellent google referrals when a user searches on "Boat towing" or "Columbia River boat towing", in fact we come up the top 4 organic searches.  I have made some efforts to make sure our webpage is very relevant to what we do.  The problem is all the false positives and calls from users searching on the word "Towing" which is the only category to choose from.  I received another one last night.

In a perfect world, there would be a category for both small boat towing and large commercial towing like tugboats towing barges and the like.  If I could actually get to someone in charge of this category thing I could explain the differences.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
LIke the previous poster, there is no category that adequately, or even remotely, correlates to my work. I am a career and entrepreneur coach. The closest I can find is Business Management, which in no way describes my work. Can we please add a category for Coaching? Thanks!

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This older "Solved" thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

When you post, please be sure to include the following information as well:

1. Full business name 

2. Current business address 

3. Current business telephone number 

4. Google+ URL 

Thank you.