My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Hotel/Motel - Competitor showing up under Google Maps via AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone assist with this problem.

We are a business called ASPLEY CARSEL MOTOR INN who use an SEO company to assist with getting our business as high up on the first page of Google search as possible.

Once people google Aspley Carsel Motor Inn the add below comes up on the right hand side of the page.

If people wish to book a room on this google sponsored add (which many people do) they click on either the Booking .Com add (sometimes Agoda, or Expedia) which comes up first and this takes them to our competitors website the’ ASPLEY MOTOR INN’ and not our website so in effect they are getting the bookings that are meant for us and the public are not aware that they have made a booking with our competitor ASPLEY MOTOR INN yet  turn up at our reception thinking they have booked with us but have booked with our competitor.

We spend for us a considerable amount of money each month to have our SEO company have us rank high on the Google Page and all our advertising dollar is going to our competitor and is costing g them nothing.

We have spoken to Booking .Com and Expedia and they advise us that it is a Google issue yet we cannot get in touch with anyone at Google to try and get this rectified.

Can someone please advise or help.

https://i.imgsafe.org/222396f.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hotel/Motel - Competitor showing up under Google Maps via AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Grant,

The image you provided is of the Knowledge Panel - this is what comes up when people search for local companies by name. The majority of the information on there comes from the free Google Local Listing and although run by Google, they are not ads in the normal sense of the word (as you can't pay money to have the Knowledge Panels show up).

This one is definitely for your business and as it has been verified someone at some stage requested a postcard be sent to your Gympie Rd address to verify the business.

The booking websites on the Knowledge Panel are a 'benefit' that Google provides (I say 'benefit' because I"m not sure how useful it is sometimes). If your business is listed on any online travel agencies (OTAs) then Google may allow them to provide a booking option on your Knowledge Panel (as is the case here).

The only way to remove them (I believe) is by removing your hotel from the OTA website itself.

I'm going to ask for some help on the matter of the wrong business showing up when you go to book though from a fellow TC - @Tim Capper

Tim - any ideas on why this disconnect is happening?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Re: Hotel/Motel - Competitor showing up under Google Maps via AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @PriyaC

Yes this is certainly incorrect, for some reason ( I assume part name match and part address match ) that the algo has displayed the incorrect OTA listings there.

If Aspley Carsel Motor Inn is not using any OTA's then it should normally be left blank with the booking slot saying unable to retrieve available dates.

I suggest calling business support to report 

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

Post back with reply

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership