2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Holidays

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When a user googles our business to see our hours if it is on a holiday it displays a message regarding the holiday possibly affecting the hours.  We are normally closed on Mondays however we are open for Martin Luther King Day (a US federal holiday).  The issue we are having is Alabama also celebrates Robert E Lee Day.  I guess google picks a state holiday to display over a National Holiday if a State holiday applies.  

It really looks strange and we actually have people call and tell us our page has been hacked because it mentions Robert E Lee day on the holiday hours for the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.  Is there any way for us to deal with this issue?  It would be much more appropriate to display the MLK holiday.

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

520 16th Street North, Birmingham AL 35203 ph 205 328 9696

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Holidays

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michael H

The state holiday being shown over the federal has been brought up and is being discussed here. It started out as a discussion about Confederate Memorial Day (which is present in the hours on listings in Texas) but when looking into it I noticed Robert E Lee Day being shown for listings in Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

I doubt anything will be done today but hopefully Google will be rethinking the holiday notifications soon.

FYI @Mike Blumenthal

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Holidays

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.  I had just found that thread after I made my post.  I tried to search this topic before I posted but didn't do a good search I guess.  Anyway, thanks for the link.  I will be watching for a solution.  :)

Holidays

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looks like they may have done some updates, our page now shows: 

Martin Luther King Jr. Day/Robert E. Lee's Birthday hours

a little better?  ;)

Holidays

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Definitely a little better! Too bad it happened shortly before you closed for the day but great to see that they took action on it today.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.