My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

High search ranking in one part of service area, low ranking in others.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I operate a landscape design and installation business called Lowcountry Vistas Charleston and a Spanish tutoring business called Charleston Spanish Tutor. With both businesses, I serve customers at their residences throughout the greater Charleston, SC area, an area that extends approximately 30 miles from my residence (where I don't work) and is comprised of multiple suburbs, some of them heavily populated.

Ironically, despite my selection of an approximate 30 mile radius, my businesses get high rankings when one searches with the terms landscape design Charleston SC and Spanish tutor Charleston SC, respectively, but low rankings when one replaces the word Charleston with the name of one of the major suburbs, such as Mt. Pleasant and Summerville.

Note: If the solution to this problem is to list the address of my residence instead of my service area (which would be ironic, given that I have a Charleston address), then I'd have another problem: I'd have two businesses listed at the same address.

My Google Maps URLs:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lowcountry+Vistas+Charleston,+LLC+Residential+Landscape+Design+and...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charleston+SC+Spanish+Tutor+Seth+Mason/@32.7308258,-80.5241128,9z/...

Thank you kindly,

Seth Mason, Charleston SC

843-670-3433

High search ranking in one part of service area, low ranking in others.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Update: I see that the issue is worse if you search using the keywords landscape designers Mt. Pleasant, etc. without the keyword SC. If you search for landscape designers Mt. Pleasant, for example, Lowcountry Vistas isn't even on the list. Instead, several lawn care businesses appear. Needless to say, those aren't landscape designers. Granted, many people searching for landscape designers in the greater Charleston area are simply going to use the keywords landscape designers Charleston. However, I've noticed that the volume of business in Charleston proper has recently increased while the volume of business in other areas has recently decreased. Mine are businesses (the problem persists with Charleston Spanish Tutor as well) that do work at residences located throughout the Charleston area, which includes areas outside of Charleston proper. Did Google recently change its algorithm? Is there anything I can do? Please help. Thanks again.