My Business
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Help with Maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, So my business is listed if i search say in PLainville on maps for a electrician but I Service roughly 25 miles or so frequently and depending on the job farther. My question is not only how can i be view from father out on maps as some do but my bigger concern is i am a generator dealer for Kohler , Generac and Winco. How can i be found on maps if someone searches for those? 

JS Electrical LLC

230 South Washington St unit 6 PLainville, Ct 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Help with Maps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Justin

Looking at your listing, it appears you've created a massive service area, probably well beyond what Google might consider "believable". While I know some businesses travel well beyond the default, there's nothing to be gained by having a service area so large. It's possible that could be working against your listing a bit.

Google's algorithm is weighted heavily towards proximity from searcher. So if there's another plumber or dealer closer to the searcher than you are, G will very likely give that other dealer a position in the pack higher than yours.

In the local finder I see evidence Google recognises your business has a connection to Kohler (as an example). When I set my map to plainville CT and type kohler generator - your biz listing comes up. If you do things other than the generators for Kohler, then again you'll need to have good webpages to help Google know. Same for Generac generators.

Your listing does not show for kohler dealer, generac dealer or either of the winco search terms. To address this, I'd speak with your web developer and look to getting some good quality content on your website for those. This will help with both organic search and may help with the local packs.

This same strategy will help support your presence in other locations - build relevant quality content for those areas. Study what the other businesses do. Look at your citations and theirs. Look at your content and theirs. And look at the reviews and theirs.

And importantly, remember the key points found here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Help with Maps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Justin

Looking at your listing, it appears you've created a massive service area, probably well beyond what Google might consider "believable". While I know some businesses travel well beyond the default, there's nothing to be gained by having a service area so large. It's possible that could be working against your listing a bit.

Google's algorithm is weighted heavily towards proximity from searcher. So if there's another plumber or dealer closer to the searcher than you are, G will very likely give that other dealer a position in the pack higher than yours.

In the local finder I see evidence Google recognises your business has a connection to Kohler (as an example). When I set my map to plainville CT and type kohler generator - your biz listing comes up. If you do things other than the generators for Kohler, then again you'll need to have good webpages to help Google know. Same for Generac generators.

Your listing does not show for kohler dealer, generac dealer or either of the winco search terms. To address this, I'd speak with your web developer and look to getting some good quality content on your website for those. This will help with both organic search and may help with the local packs.

This same strategy will help support your presence in other locations - build relevant quality content for those areas. Study what the other businesses do. Look at your citations and theirs. Look at your content and theirs. And look at the reviews and theirs.

And importantly, remember the key points found here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog