My Business
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Help with Google Results not Showing Current Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have setup a new website and google my business account for a lawyer who has his own practice since 2015. If you search his name on Google, his previous law firm shows up on the right side. His business is verified and his SEO on his site has been setup. I've submitted the site map and such to google and bing. My question is how to get his new law firm to show up in the results and not his old firm, mainly on the right hand side. I understand that some things will just take time but didn't know if I'm missing something?

business name: Benton Law, LLC

physical address: 5 Dauphin Street, Bayport Bldg, Suite 301 Mobile, AL 36602

google +: https://plus.google.com/+BentonlawMobile

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with Google Results not Showing Current Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm trying to post a screenshot, but I keep getting an error. Here is a link:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tom+benton+mobile,+al&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

As you can see on the right hand side, the law firm I was with in 2015 is showing up. I would rather nothing show up than their law firm.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

Looks like you have updated a few but you should update profiles/listings on other websites that have your name associated with the prior law firm. Your linkedin profile needs updated. I see you (or someone) edited your listing on yellowpages.com to show that you moved. Instead of doing that I would just edit that listing to show the new information. If you have any problems updating the listing you can talk to yp phone support. They're usually helpful in getting listings updated.

And of course there are all the various lawyer specific sites you can try to claim and update your profile on.

I would add more about yourself on your website. A detailed bio page would be good.

Your prior law firm probably doesn't realize it but there are pages from an old version of their website that are still up and running and in Google's index. One is an old attorney profiles page and you're on it. The page on their domain is /attorney_profiles.shtml I would ask them to remove that page or at least take your info off of it.

If you do a search on Google that includes both your name and your old law firm's name (try a few variations) you'll find references on websites that you can try to get updated. You won't be able to get them all but the more the better.

It will still take some time but these suggestions should help reduce the wait.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Tom! I didn't realize I was still on the old website. I
will contact them to get my name removed. I will also update the other
websites with incorrect information. Thank you for taking the time to
respond. I appreciate it very much.

Tom B

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you tell me how you were able to figure out that Google is indexing the old website with my name on it? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I just did a search that included your name and the law firm's. Something like: https://www.google.com/search?q=thomas+benton+mobile,+al+attorney+mcfadden+lyon

Looks like they did remove the old attorney profiles page, that's great!

There are a lot of other websites that have mentions of you with the old firm, which is understandable. Just try to update the ones you can (the ones that don't try to charge you for doing so). Each will have a different process of claiming and updating your listing, if they allow it. Do a search like I did and also try variations of your name (Tom and also Thomas, middle initial and middle name, etc.).

Some results I saw you should try to update include: linkedin, lawyer.com, lawyercentral.com, manta.com, yelp, insurance.al, just to name a few.

You need to get some links pointing to your website. Updating those online profiles will give you the opportunity to get a few links and to associate your name with your business, its address, phone number and website.

Good luck!

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Tom B,
Are you the only attorney at Benton Law? Will it stay that way or will you likely expand and have other attorneys join your firm eventually?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am the only attorney at this time and don't see that changing.

I don't know what else I can do to hurry the process of getting the correct info on the search results. Maybe I just need to try some AdWords and see if that will work?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom B
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

If that's the case then you can change the name of your Google My Business listing from Benton Law, LLC to Benton Law, LLC : Tom Benton

(or Thomas, or whichever version of your name you feel is most appropriate).

You could utilize AdWords to add to your presence in the search results but it won't have an impact on the knowledge panel result that appears on the right hand side.

Adding your name to the business will likely make the biggest impact.

From the Google My Business guidelines located here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177 this is the section specific to solo practitioners:

Solo practitioners that belong to branded organizations

If a practitioner is the only public-facing practitioner at a location and represents a branded organization, it's best for the practitioner to share a listing with the organization. Create a single listing, named using the following format: [brand/company]: [practitioner name].

Acceptable: "Allstate: Joe Miller" (if Joe is the sole public-facing practitioner at this Allstate-branded location)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom W!
Thank you so much for this information. I updated my listing name and in 2 days, I'm on Google the way I want to be found! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and I hope it can help others looking for the same thing!

Tom B.