My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Help Please - Questions concerning Google Products & an outside marketing company

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi there all,

I have a client that had a well known marketing/lead get company contact him and sell him on a bunch of items for $1649 a month including an SEO package, a 3-page “sales” website using a keyword stuffed URL and a different telephone number (it’s a regular tracking number) than our company number. Part of that package also included citation management where they planned to go in and “manage” our GMB page and other citation listings and change the contact into to the new number and new website along with some service that will also feed that info out to all of the directories.

It also included Adwords management with their own dashboard (not ours as they never asked for access to our Adwords account) which I was told they will also be using the new website address and new telephone in order to track it. We have our own website (currently in the midst of an overhaul) that ranks fairly well for a lot of terms in our industry so we really didn’t need another website but they were good at selling so here we are.

Can someone please tell me how harmful this is going to be to our brand and possibly to our Google rankings? The guy went on to tell me how Google allows a site to have 10 websites all together as long as you only have one Google My Business/+ listing and that is completely antithetical to anything I have ever been told or read before. At this point I haven’t given them manager access to GMB or any citation stuff and when we verbalized concerns over doing that, they backed off on that point and said we could customize the package and do away with that part and just concentrate on the Adwords and the sales site.

Looking for any advice or suggestions here on how worried we need to be and if we should cancel before anything else happens (the crappy site they made is already live and they also said the Adwords they’re doing is now live as well).

Thank you so much in advance! And if I should put this in a different community, can someone from support let me know.

Kimberly

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help Please - Questions concerning Google Products & an outside marketing company

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi , anytime a marketing agency wants to go in and start creating new listings with different phone numbers and start changing phone numbers on the existing listings, I would run. The fact that they didn't ask any questions about the existing AdWords account and jumped right into creating new ads is another red flag. 

I would say there is a good chance that their efforts will end of having a negative impact on the brand and rankings.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky