My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Help! My small business has been removed from google maps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please help! My business in jersey city called Exchange Place Therapy Group has disappeared from google maps when I type in Jersey City Physical Therapy.  I have come up for years and in the past 6 weeks I disappeared.  However, if I type in Physiotherapist in jersey City I will come up.  The problem is no one ever types physiotherapist to find a physical therapist.  I have worked really hard to get all my patients to write reviews over the past year, I have managed to get 200! I pay for the google ad words so I come up as an ad but not in the maps.  When I created the page I used the key words Physical therapy Clinic, chiropractor, Sports Medicine so it is odd that physiotherapy comes up because I have never used that as a description.  Does anyone have any advice for me.  I have contacted google but I cannot get any answers.  I did have a change in hours and when i logged in it said I had to verify the new hours which I did.  Now the site is saying it is pending and will take up to 3 days for google to accept the changes.  However, its now been 2 weeks and nothing has changed.  I am very worried because I get the majority of my patients from google and I can see the business is already taking a hit over the past 6 weeks.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Jaclyn F

So most of the normal glaring issues I see don't exist for you.  I have some followup questions since it's not clear yet what might have caused this.

I see you're still ranked really high organically. Has your organic ranking changed at all in the last 6 weeks?  

I also don't see you at all in the local results so it's not like you dropped, you vanished kind of like you described. Have you noticed any other competitors that maybe weren't there before but are now? Were these guys there before?

You don't happen to have any screenshots of what it used to look like before, do you?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Joy thank you so much for responding!! I just saw that you did. I have been on the phone w google maps for weeks and they can't tell me anything. They said they were going to send this to a speciality engineering department. I haven't moved in the organic search in the past 6 weeks either and yes that other place Complete Physical Therapy has always been there. What I did find out was that I was categorized under physiotherapy by accident by my Internet guy in October 2015 and when there was an update in October 2016 I vanished. However, we come up on google maps if you search "chiropractor in Jersey City" or "Physical Therapy in the Exchange Place". Over the past year I have gotten 280 reviews. Being a physical therapist I have my entire staff ask all the patients for their feedback (we are in the business of getting people out of pain and feeling better) so it's not difficult for me to get a ton of reviews. I was thinking maybe google flagged this? I have no idea but I have been reasearching non stop since I am not getting any answers. They even made me take pictures of the outside of the building to show them I was a real business and that didn't work. I am so lost and it's devistating bc I work so hard at building my platform. As of now my address is still pending and says edits take up to 3 and and as of yesterday my hours started to randomly go to pending even though I haven't touched anything because I am scared to! Let me know if you have ever seen this before. As I said in the last thread, if I zoom in a tiny but on the map I do come up. Thanks so much Joy! I really appreciate it!

Jaclyn 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jaclyn F I'm not seeing any pending edits on your listing at all so I wouldn't worry about that. Google probably won't be able to tell you much in regards to ranking issues - they never can.  Unless it's an issue with something on your listing displaying incorrectly you probably won't hear much from them on how to fix an issue for not showing up under a particular keyword.

The menu attached to your listing doesn't seem to accurately reflect your services? I thought it was odd that they listed a mani pedi.  Do you offer those?

http://places.singleplatform.com/exchange-place-therapy-group/menu?ref=google

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Jaclyn F I think I might have identified what's causing the issue. Your listing doesn't have the category "Physical Therapist" and this is the category that is most used in the list of other businesses that rank. Can you try adding it in and waiting a few days and let me know if anything changes?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Help! My small business has been removed from google maps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Joy!! That could be it. But Why would physical therapy clinic in jersey City not show up then?

Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I've seen Google do strange things sometimes when they don't know how to properly classify a business. Your listing has a lot of categories on it so that could also be contributing. If adding this category doesn't fix it, I might have some further suggestions but I want to see what this does first.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Joy i cannot thank you enough. Ok I will change it now. Should I remove acouple categories and keep maybe 4 instead of 7?

Sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Jaclyn F Not yet. I want to see what adding the category does. If it doesn't work, I'll probably suggest narrowing them but you always want to wait a few days to see the impact. I set up your listing on a tracker that notifies me if anything changes so I'll keep an eye on it for a couple days.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you soo much Joy!! I didn't see your response and deleted couple.  I hope this doesn't mess anything up.  Now I only have Physical therapy Clinic as the main category and physical therapist and chiropractors as subcategories.  I have been pending for so long anyways.  My address for some reason has been pending over a month now so Im not sure how long this will take.  I am so thankful to you though for giving me this information!

Jaclyn