My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Having a malicious review removed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In early 2015 my business received the following review at one of it's locations. 

"used 2 b cool but their best babe left & now run by mingers who think they r managers- so not!" 

by "betchabygollywow Smith"

At the time I did nothing about it as to me it shows the person who wrote it up for who they are. I am 99.9% certain it was made by a family member of former employee and this forms part of a wider campaign details of which are not for a public forum. 

However, I have begun to explore advertising with google and as such would now like the review removed as it has an obvious negative impact. As such I initiated a review of said review yesterday. 

I have today been advised that it does not breach any policies. 

As far as I am concerned it breaches four. 

• Off-topic reviews: Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience or that aren't about the specific place you’re reviewing. Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary, or personal rants. Wrong location or the place is closed? Use the Report a problem link to report that information instead of writing a review.

To start with I believe it relates to out other location NOT the one it was left on.

It is quite obviously about someone else's experience "used 2 b cool but their best babe left" "now run by mingers".

• Keep it clean: Don’t use obscene, profane or offensive language. We’ll also remove reviews that represent personal attacks on others.

"now run by mingers" Is it acceptable to refer to my employees as "mingers"? Is that keeping it clean?

• Conflict of interest: Reviews are most valuable when they're honest and unbiased. If you own or work at a place, please don’t review your own business or employer. Don’t offer or accept money, products or services to write reviews for a business or to write negative reviews about a competitor. If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.

The person I believe it relates to went to work for a competitor, and has since set up their own business in the same industry. 

In chat this morning the person on the other end stated it could not be removed because it was the experience of someone using the service. 

I have never had a customer called betchabygollywow Smith I can guarantee that. 

Also the bulk of our customers are elderly, the text speak is hardly indicative this person is in their later years is it?

So it is also a breach of

• Impersonation: Don’t post reviews on behalf of others, or misrepresent your identity or connection with the place you’re reviewing.

If google continue to claim it a customer I would be obliged to know their actual name. Or are people also permitted to post malicious reviews on a public forum with impunity?

It has also been suggested to me that I reply to this review. If it is the person and family I think it is, I have no wish to enter into an online discussion with them given my real life experiences...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Having a malicious review removed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin L

I understand everything you are detailing, but it does not work that way and Googles official policy is that, Google doesn't get involved when merchants and customers disagree about facts, since there's no reliable way to discern who's right about a particular customer experience.

Trust me I have reported thousands of reviews.

However, we may have some luck with "minger" if I explain the use of this as UK slang and as a derogatory term.

I need a link to the review please.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim, 

Thanks for your assistance. 

https://business.google.com/u/0/b/103669658536114076217/reviews/l/12669998779673288130?service=plus&...

I hope that is the correct way of linking the review. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I will report it and let get back to you when I hear back.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Having a malicious review removed?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kevin L

The review has now been removed.