My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Googles policy on reviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So frustrated with Googles policy on reviews. You can set up hundreds of google accounts, and as long as you hide your ip and spread the reviews out over time, you can write hundreds of fake reviews and ruins someones business. Googles team will hang up on you if you challenge this and are not willing to talk. Its a flawed system and as far as I can see you have 2 options, close your google listings and use trusted review sites that have better guidelines on fake reviews, or join the fake reviewers. The whole system will come crashing down eventually until googles decides that they need to improve the system and stops trying to invent new ways to kill businesses online! What are your thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well I share your frustration.  Feel free to look at the piece I wrote about it that published yesterday: http://searchengineland.com/dear-google-4-suggestions-fixing-massive-problem-fake-reviews-276445

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Excellent "review" of the broken system Joy, I wonder how we can find out who the right person is to address about this issue. It will take a global newspaper or celebrity to talk about the issue before google does anything.

Anyone who has the power and technology such as google should strive to be the best and not force our hand to abuse/ruin the system just like Link Gate!

I wonder what sort of animal will be employed to try and fix reviews, to dumb it down. (panda, penguin, hummingbird are all taken) I hope its a dragon or Lion as the issue needs force to fix it!

The Indian call center today told me that anyone can set up a google account and as long as they fool the algorithm by using unique ip addressees and spacing out the reviews over a few days, its possible to review a business with fake reviews over and over again, they didnt put it in so many words and refused to comment when i explained what they had just said in real terms. The phone went dead very soon after this.

I'm at a lost what to do next but if we can make this a permanent thread that lots of people comment on it would be a start to getting google to listen.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@alan C I don't think it's necessarily just 1 person that would be able to change something like this. Most likely a team of people. I've been collecting a lot of examples, along with several others, and bringing them up again and again to Google.

I think the biggest thing that helps speed along issues with quality when it comes to Google is media attention.  So anything you can do to bring more light to the issue will help.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm doing my best to get people with social influences to try and highlight the problem, fingers crossed the right team will address this.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@JoyHawkins do you know what happens if you close the listing and then create a new one? Does it link to the old details and reviews or does it create a clean slate?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

It creates a new listing.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

OK they seem to have us cornered. The best way would be to never create a listing in the first place?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Sorry I'm not sure what you're asking? 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was just trying to work out how to get rid of reviews and when Ive now realised that google don't care, I'm thinking avoiding using the local listing service maybe the only way to fix the problem until they fix a flawed system.