My Business
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google star rating does not add up!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have five 5 star ratings. Very good I hear you all say.

However, the average score for these is only 4.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does that make sense to anyone? If it does can you explain it to me.

Find me at 'portrait photographer Chester' - richard linnett photography.

Hopinmg to hear from someone soon.

Best wishes,

Richard

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Google star rating does not add up!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Ah yes, the review score calculation algorithm. According to Google's official guidelines:

"We calculate an overall rating based on user ratings and a variety of other signals to ensure that the overall score best reflects the quality of the establishment."
-
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4801187?hl=en

Read: we use more than just your actual reviews to calculate your review average. 

Here's a great little write-up on it from Mike Blumenthal, giving a quick explanation of what exactly is going on.

http://localu.org/blog/google-show-4-8-rating-5-star-reviews/

The quick and dirty version though, when a business has a small number of reviews, they use what they know about other businesses to estimate the likely final score your business would have after a good number of other reviews trickled in for you. 

Either way, this is totally normal, so don't worry about it too much. Just continue encouraging customers to leave reviews in your interactions with them, and the Google math will start looking more like normal math once you get a few more on your profile. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Amazing answer though! So google cannot leave it to possible customers to make their ownjudgement that a business has had only a few reviews and therefore not to put too much store in them all being 5 star. My business has to be judged on the performance of others!!

The world of google is quite mad and they clearly thin k a great deal about themselves.

I will try not to take it to heart and just put it down to stupifity. Perhaps I will feel better when I get a 4/3/2/1 star review. Perhaps I should do my job less well and then google will look better.

Once again, much appreciate your answer.

All the best,

Richard

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Happy to help Richard. Sorry it's not the answer you were hoping for, but on the plus side, the same thing happens to every other business too, so I think most customers know what to think of it at least. You'll hit that '5.0' average once you have enough 5 star reviews there too. Not sure when that would happen though... probably somewhere between 10 and 15 reviews on your profile? Either way, I doubt very much that it's actually going to cost you any business, so like I said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you James. I have other places where people write reviews and I will refer customers there instewd of google. I give customers a choice as to where to leave a review. I think you need to sign into google to be able to leave a review and some customers do not want to spend the time, easier to do it elsewhere.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have 47 5-star reviews but they've given me a 4.7 average! (Brickhouse Inn B&B in Gettysburg, PA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This may be the way all business are rated, however, it still is ridiculous to rate a new business on what other businesses are currently rated. My business has 5 5 star reviews, but showing a 4.7 rating. The problem is that when someone searches for my type of business, all they see are the star rating which pops up and shows 4.7. So even though they can't see anything other than 5 star reviews, they will just assume that we had a bad review and had it deleted which has pulled our average down. We strive hard to exceed service that customers receive at other stores in our industry, and should not be punished because those businesses aren't up to the same standard of service that we are. Google needs to correct this algorithm and let potential customers use their own logic if a business has a 5 star rating with only a few reviews rather than telling the customers that there might be something wrong with the written reviews for the business, because they are not receiving the 5 star review they have earned.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi There,
my business has 3.6 star (based on 54 reviews) but my actual avg is 4...Anyone with the same problem?

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This older "Solved" thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

When you post, please be sure to include the following information as well:

1. Full business name 

2. Current business address 

3. Current business telephone number 

4. Google+ URL 

Thank you.