My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google search info box/knowledge panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several businesses. They each have their own business page and Google+ page and website. Everything is verified. 

For some of them, that info box/knowledge panel pops up. For others, that space is blank. What is making the difference?

Here's an example:

It's not letting me insert photos. Please Google "Manhasset Press" for an example of one that is blank, then Google "Floral Park Dispatch" for one that is there. 

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google search info box/knowledge panel

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Anton N

Interesting, it's actually kind of rare for a local business to not get a knowledge panel showing for it's brand name like that. I've heard that getting some reviews can help. I made you a link with this tool, if you're going to build a few reviews on Google, use this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Manhasset%20Press&ludocid=10616575411015868894&lrd=0x89c2878aaa2a157...

You'll also want to fully fill out your profile (business hours, etc.)

I also noticed that business has mismatched names around the internet. For quite a few sites, the business profiles had names like this:
L I Community Newspapers
Long Island Community Newspapers Inc.
Floral Park Dispatch
Mineola American
L I Community Newspapers - E 2nd St

The last piece though... I looked up some of my own local newspapers, none of them had a knowledge panel showing either. Could be that Google deems this industry to not be well served by showing a branded knowledge panel. I haven't worked with a newspaper publisher before so I can't comment on that either way, but if that's the case this might be an uphill battle. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, James. That's very helpful.

Can you also explain how to go about getting rid of some of those business profiles with the incorrect names? I'm trying to clean it all up. The company never even went by L I Community Newspapers or the like. Strange.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Whitespark Citation Finder can help you find all the different 3rd party directory listings for your business, you can pretty easily click through and see what's displaying. Whitespark also has reasonable rates for correcting those problems for you. They do it manually, so you're left with the logins to a corrected listing, without having to worry about things 'reverting' if you stop paying. 

Yext has a citation checker that can also be a useful tool, though I don't necessarily recommend using their service since it's cost can be a little high. 

Every site is different though, and some are almost impossible to get updated (especially ones that are no longer being managed or updated at all... having a business directory site ended up being less profitable than many companies were hoping). So do your best, and worry most about the important ones. 

Moz Local is also a good tool for updating/creating directories for a business in the 4 main business data sources. Many of the other sites (in the US at least) pull from those 4, and Moz Local is a pretty cheap and easy way to get your business in those aggregators. It's about $90, I usually do it for clients. 

Before you do all that work though, like I said before, it might be that Google doesn't like showing a knowledge panel at all for this industry, so weigh that knowledge too before you invest heavily in a cleanup effort. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.