My Business
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google search incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

River City Church

323 Main Ave. Fargo, ND 58103

(701)364-0088

We've had a few people bring to our attention that when you google search for "Scientology church Fargo" you get our church as a top result. This is troubling because we are not a church of scientology, in fact, we find them dangerous and completely incompatible with our beliefs and practices.

As we seek to better curate our online presence, particularly our google business presence, I'm wondering how we might change those search parameters so that we won't be grouped in with an organization and set of beliefs that to not at all represent us as a church.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google search incorrect

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @River City C

I'm not able to replicate this. I don't see any map results for various Scientology church Fargo related searches. I do see River City Church in the non-map results but it's not at the top of the results. I think your website ranks well overall for Fargo church related keywords and that could be why it's appearing on the first page of results for that specific keyword.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I google search for “fargo scientology church” and click on “maps” we are the first (and only) church to pop up. That is just terribly inaccurate and not helpful.
I don’t know how to change that search problem so that we aren’t listed in that way.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake Peterson | Pastor
River City Church | Fargo, ND
rivercityfargo.org

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@River City C

Hi Jake,

I'm seeing it now. I will pass this along to see if anything can be done.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google search incorrect

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Sorry I cannot replicate this issue. 

Also, we cannot control how Google displays a business for search terms. You may have more luck in the web search forums. 

@williamrock any thoughts?

You may want to see if anyone is linking to you with that terminology. 

Also optimize your GMB listing, a gplus page could help distance you from that association. 

Look into your citations as well. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Google search incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Ben Fisher

Thanks for the response. I'm not very familiar with how a googleplus page works for us as a church/non-profit/business. However, I'm working with our communications/IT person (volunteer) to try to see what can be done to affect/change some of these results. We're trying to track down possible spam/links where someone has somehow tied this search parameter to us. 

Also... sorry for the dumb question... but when you talk about "citations" what do you mean? 

Thanks again for your help.

Google search incorrect

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Jacob P It is possible someone made a citation that is false (I did not do any research on this), but here is a guide that can teach you about citations: https://moz.com/learn/local/citations

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Google search incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks much! #savedthat

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @River City C

The simple reason is because there is no Scientology church in Fargo and Google then provides the next best result for a Church.

If someone happens to search that, they can clearly see you are not a Scientology church.

You can report feedback on the search result, but not too sure if they will be able to be amended this easily as its algorithmic. 

I have left feedback on search result. 

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Google search incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tim. I figured they were just finding what they thought was "the next closest thing"... and I think there used to be a Scientology church not far from here a number of years ago that has long been closed. 

I'll also leave feedback on the search result and if others (who've brought it to our attention) see it to do the same.

Thanks