My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google plus reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Need some help. I work with a financial advisory firm called Diversify. We have a google plus account that we use as a social media platform. As a financial advisory firm it is illegal for our company to receive and/or post reviews regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

Need to know if there is a way to remove the ability to write reviews on our google plus account and whether we can remove the reviews currently in place?

If this is not possible, what are the options that we currently have?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google plus reviews

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Sterling A

As far as I know, there's no way to prohibit people from leaving reviews, and there's no way to get rid of your business listing once it exists. I saw @ElizabethP mention in a thread a while back something about Google's legal stance on regulatory issues to do with specific industries and review compliance, she might have something to weigh in with. 

For Elizabeth or anyone else that'd like to take a look, is this your business profile? 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@james w: thanks providing the link to the page of @Sterling A

@Sterling A :

we read in the past time several similar threads where users complained about the functionality or rules  of GMB mentioning any rules or laws of  their state or country being in conflict with the way GMB is working.

We escalated such threads to Google and their legal team checked this and came back telling us what or how they consider this.

Linking here few such threads:

Re: How to stop review from google local business page ?

and 

Re: Google My Business for Real Estate Agents

read especially in either threads each last post of our communication manager @ElizabethP

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Sterling A,

I'll preface this with saying that I am neither a lawyer nor a financial advisor so please do interpret this as approved advice. I have worked with financial advisors for some time and double checked with a client today - here is a breakdown of my understanding to date. 

• Violations include soliciting reviews, posting them, and using or promoting them in any way.
  • It is not a violation if someone out of their own free will leaves you a review.
  • The actual violation would be promoting it in any way - ex. saying "Check out our G+ reviews" etc.

It has been explained to me, that since you neither solicited it, posted it, not referring people to it nor promoting it you should not be considered in violation. Of course, I default to what your client and broker dealer advise on how to proceed, but just wanted to pass along how it was explained to me.

Also big thank you to @Helmut Geissler as a TC for contributing the threads containing Google's statement.

Best regards,
Meghan

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi @Sterling A,

Thanks to all who have contributed here.

Google's view is that unsolicited reviews do not by themselves constitute advertising of a merchant's services, and professional regulators in many areas have agreed with this. Merchants need to make sure they continue to comply with their professional regulations when using other features of GMB, including owner responses and promotional / advertising features.

Best,

Liz

GMB Community Manager