My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google keeps incorrectly changing business address format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We use Moz Local to manage our location citations and within the past few weeks I've received several messages like the one below:

a.jpg

As you can see, for some reason Google is removing "Ste C" and adding a lowercase "c" to address line 1. This is also how it displays when I visit the page on Google Maps, as seen here:

b.jpg

However, when I go to GMB, it's still displaying the address correctly at:

c.jpg

I know that I can request a change through Google Maps, however, this has happened with more than one location so it must be an algorithm change instead of an isolated fluke incident. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/106182565275153197204/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google keeps incorrectly changing business address format

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Josh F

Can I ask what is Ste C is?

Address line 2, is used for suite or office number and is lowercase. I am assuming they don't recognize Ste and therefore remove it and leave the c.

Looking at the building in Maps there are only 3 in the building, do you really need the Ste C ?

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Google keeps incorrectly changing business address format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. "Ste" is short for Suite, as defined by the USPS. I've noticed that sometimes Google converts "Ste" to "#", which is fine since both abbreviations are used interchangeably and people know what both mean.

"I am assuming they don't recognize Ste and therefore remove it and leave the c."

The thing that confuses me about this is the fact that this has only become a recent issue. It's been listed as "Ste C" on Google for a long time. I would understand if this happened right after we created the listings years ago but that isn't the case.

"Looking at the building in Maps there are only 3 in the building, do you really need the Ste C ?"

With our locations we like to be as consistent as possible. We always list the suite number in our address when a location is located in a suite. It would make it a bit more tedious to manage if we started making rules about only listing suite numbers where there are four or less total suites in a building. It's also easier for our customers to know exactly where our location is at.

Re: Google keeps incorrectly changing business address format

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey @Josh F

Have never seen that abbreviation and also Google does not display that abbreviation in recommended use of address line 2.

Googlebot may only have processed your address recently, as it is a separate database that business work off and then pushed to maps data, so it can take in some cases ages before an address gets changed algorithmically.

Also Google can change their minds at any time. They recently changed Thailand's entire address structure and with over 3000 listings to manage I had heart failure, let alone the other 12 million poor businesses.

Simple test, change address line 2 to, Suite C, if it sticks, you have your answer and the structure moving forward or until they change their minds again.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership