My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google is destroying my business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does Google determine which businesses they will help with issues that are destroying a business and which ones to just ignore?  If they created the issue, they should be more than happy to solve it, right?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google is destroying my business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Diane R

What seems to be the problem, please provide details.

Name of Business

Address

Tel

Website

Business page Url, if you have it

Whats gone wrong ?

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm becoming somewhat of a broken record, but...
I have a bad review. Never mind that it's bogus (because it's from someone we've never done business with), I finally was able to 'claim my business' after a year of problems because we don't get mail at a street address and wrote a response. But! Google randomly selected it and put two lines from it and put them on the knowledge panel as review snippets. I'm done hearing about getting more positive reviews and MAYBE the review snippet will change. Yes, and maybe it won't. and maybe it will and then change back! Anyway, I am not asking for a solution to the problem on this thread, but if you have one feel free to leave it on my original thread or the one I commented on. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/removing-review-snippets-on-sea... or https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Main-Google-page-shows-one-nega... I am asking how to get to the right people at Google that actually makes the decisions about their programs. They created the program for review snippets and they sure as heck can un-create it or give us the option to turn it off. I looked at 15 competitor businesses in my area...some didn't have the snippets at all and some did. Those that did also have negative reviews but those weren't the ones chosen.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Diane,

We are here and happy to help. I'm sorry to hear of the frustration that you've had so far with this review. My best advice is always to respond to the review in a very polite and professional manner, so even when people may see this particular review, they will also see that the business cares, and takes steps to address concerns. The advice that has been provided to you regarding asking more customers for reviews is spot on--we do highly recommend this, as the newer reviews will show up on top of the negative one.

Best,
Liz
GMB Community Manager

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please, please, please "Google"  You will then see the knowledge panel. You will then see the review snippets. And tell me that anyone looking for a northern WI fishing resort would bother to look at the full reviews, my replies to them, or any other information, or even my website. Even the lady that I talked to yesterday from Google that was trying to sell an ad to me said she wouldn't have gone any further after seeing those review snippets. I understand that I cannot get rid of a bad review unless they swore or threatened someone. I have responded to the review. I have enlisted some of our closest customers and just today 5 of them have written great reviews. So they're on top of a list that no one will see!! Now I have to wait for the cycle in which Google decides that it is time to change the review snippets. I just spent hundreds of hours putting together an email campaign of people known to be looking for this type of vacation. In my insights I see that during the time the emails went out, over 1,000 people googled my place. A wasted effort because of this. There is no way that Google lets you volunteer without having contacts within their organization. Call them, email them, go up the food chain until someone listens. Please.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You could always try asking @googlesmallbiz on Twitter, that often works better than calling. You may not get traction there either, but I know at least one case of a business having those snippets unfairly reflect only one negative (and older) review was able to get things adjusted that way. 

Edit: only one of the snippets is from a negative review now, and it's not too damning of a snippet. Looks like what you've already done mostly fixed it.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi @james w,

Thanks for the suggestion--my team works with the @GoogleSmallBiz handle as well, and we are already working on this issue.

@Diane R, no updates yet, but I will get back to you as soon as I hear further. 

Best,

Liz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I contacted some of our closest customers and asked them to write reviews and it did change 2 of the 3 snippets, and yes, the worst one is off the page. I also contacted the reviewer herself and explained what was going on. I convinced her to delete her review. However, the third snippet is still from her review that is supposed to be gone. That makes me very nervous that these things are stored somewhere and some day in the future it could show up in the snippets again. That's why I think Google really needs to give business owners more control over the snippet feature.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Hi Diane,

Really glad to hear that the positive reviews have helped! I've taken your feedback to our team. Thank you for all your input on snippets!

Best,
Liz