My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys. I have all 5 star ratings on my google reviews from my customers yet my review score is 4.8. Am i missing something? Also for some reason if I google a certain key words that my potential customers will use to find me I am listed as #1 on google front page but not on the google map while other businesses whose are ranking 3rd and 4th on the front page their location shows up on the map. If however I google other key words I am like #2 or 3 on the front page and my business location shows on the map. what can be causing this to happen. 

Thanks in advance for your help 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conrad Kyezauto E
November 2016

Google Reviews

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

The 5 stars getting the 4.8 is based on a predictive mathematical equations google uses. i would assume you have less then 15 reviews.  Once you get more, and they are all 5, then the 5 will show back up.

Ranking for Keyword via Google maps is based on many factors.

Please read this excellent article by Expert  @Tim Capper

Ranking Factors For Google My Business

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Ranking-Factors-of-a-Google-Business-Page/ba-p/50...

More on the 5 star 4.8 by @Mike Blumenthal

Google clearly is weighting 5-star reviews differently if there are less than a certain number and they are probably using an algorithm that is something like a Bayesian average.

What is a Bayesian average you ask? From Wikipedia:

Bayesian average is a method of estimating the mean of a population consistent with Bayesian interpretation, where instead of estimating the mean strictly from the available data set, other existing information related to that data set may also be incorporated into the calculation in order to minimize the impact of large deviations, or to assert a default value when the data set is small.

In other words, when you have a very small sample (i.e. few reviews), Google is using its large dataset of review stars to model and estimate what your average would be IF you had more reviews. All very Googly, as they say.

The problem is that Google doesn't really explain all of this and folks fret a great deal. Often for good reason. The Bayesian logic, while integral to Google's thinking, is very foreign to most of us. Here is a tale from the forums when I explained how Google likely calculated this "average":

http://localu.org/blog/google-show-4-8-rating-5-star-reviews/