My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Plus Update- What does this mean for My Business listings?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

With the new Beta update that has just rolled out on Google Plus- I'm wondering what this means for My Business pages? As you can see, they are drastically different and lack important aspects like categories, descriptions, hours, and reviews.

Do we have information on this? 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Google Plus Update- What does this mean for My Business listings?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Josh K and @Jess R

Just adding to @treebles answer - reviews are still visible from the Knowledge panel (when searching for a business in Google search) or in Maps.

For customers to leave reviews they will need to either search for your business in Google Maps (this is the easiest way as it can be done via desktop or mobile) and leave a review there, or search via Google search and leave a review via the Knowledge Panel (not so easy). 

If you are emailing customers with a link then you can use the methods described in this article to create that link: http://localu.org/blog/use-this-link-to-ask-for-google-reviews-on-mobile-the-desktop/

@Josh K the auto-generated email field looks to be the same as the one that you could previously use to log into a business on Google+, but I'm confirming that is the case. If it is not I'll swing back here and update my comments.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To add on to Jess' question, how will G+ business users be able to gather reviews through the new system? As a business owner, if I want to provide my customers with a link they can click to provide me reviews through Google, can I still do that? Where do I acquire that link?

Also, is the auto-generated email field on the new page preview required or can it be disabled? Where do those e-mails go? I tried sending one to the email in the preview from another account as a test and it came back as undeliverable. Am I correct in assuming those emails will eventually be forwarded to the email address I setup the account with when the changes roll out officially?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jess,
I see what I can find out but it seems that Local is slowly moving away from Google+ as a place to interact or find relevant information about a business.
I know Google has said that many features have not been incorporated yet, maybe it is the case with most of the information in the Local business pages.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Josh K and @Jess R

Just adding to @treebles answer - reviews are still visible from the Knowledge panel (when searching for a business in Google search) or in Maps.

For customers to leave reviews they will need to either search for your business in Google Maps (this is the easiest way as it can be done via desktop or mobile) and leave a review there, or search via Google search and leave a review via the Knowledge Panel (not so easy). 

If you are emailing customers with a link then you can use the methods described in this article to create that link: http://localu.org/blog/use-this-link-to-ask-for-google-reviews-on-mobile-the-desktop/

@Josh K the auto-generated email field looks to be the same as the one that you could previously use to log into a business on Google+, but I'm confirming that is the case. If it is not I'll swing back here and update my comments.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Josh K you said: "Also, is the auto-generated email field on the new page preview required or can it be disabled?"

I saw someone else ask a similar question: "What’s with the crazy @pages.plusgoogle.com email address that is showing up on the Google+ pages?"

Is that what you mean?  I have not seen any emails. Are you talking about an email address that was added right on the live public facing page?  That's odd, seems like folks could get unwanted spam. Could you give me an example link to look at? Or explain more if that's not what you meant?

Thanks, Linda

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Linda Buquet 

I assumed (always a bad move) that @Josh K was talking about this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 12.47.38 PM.png

In the old G+ version you could use this email address to create a log

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that's exactly the field I am referring to.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
OK I see. Thanks!