My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Places OR Business OR Pages OR Maps or whatever it is is rooted!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have spent years working in the online world so I would class myself as slightly above the average web user when it comes to understanding things.

Yet, after years and years, I still don't get Google Maps/Places/Business/Pages or whatever they are calling it these days.

I created a place/address/page/listing for my business - but somehow I also had a page and a map listing or something else and ended up with 3 different listings - I had no idea which was which and found myself in a constant state of confusion any time I went near "google"

Now, I think it appears to be ok in whatever it is I am looking at these days - places? business? who knows (BTW: As a side note, whoever is in charge of the branding of Google's ancillary products has done a very, very average job - terrible!)

I have one listing which appears to be ok - forget about the fact that I used to post content to my old page/place/plus, whatever it was - because I seem to have lost all that content (I think) - who would know?

Anyway, I had a few customers who asked me to help them get their business listed in the Google search result - on the right side - so I added them to somewhere (which I thought would do it) and I'm pretty sure it worked- not sure if its places or business or pages or what? But when I go to google and type "google places" - the first result is: https://www.google.com.au/business/ which I click on.

In there, I clicked "Get on Google" and proceeded to add them.

Now, what I have found (through sheer luck) is that My google AdWords account is pulling through the addresses of all these locations and displaying them as my business address in My google adwords Ads - Can you believe it? i was absolutely flabbergasted that a company like Google who preached about the "best of breed" developers could do something so insanely stupid!

Now, there is every chance that I got it wrong in the setup and that wouldn't surprise me because it appears that being "above average" in online website stuff is clearly not good enough - you must need a degree in computing to figure out how to use Google!

So what's my point my problem?

1. What did I miss or where did I miss the instruction that adding a business for someone else needs to be done differently than what I did? I have my second business listed in there as well as a few friends and customer businesses - Clearly that's wrong based on the total f'up that happened in AdWords (an f'up that they don't care about either - I can only imagine the amount of money I wasted on ads promoting my business in locations I do not reside or service!!!!! But Google couldn't care less - bad luck, your problem)

2. How am I supposed to ad my additional businesses ? my friends businesses? my customers businesses? They are asking me because they are less computer literate than me - if I can barely figure it out - what hope would they have?

3. Is there anyone anywhere that thinks "Gee, Google places has got their sh1t sorted- they're awesome!"

I am amazed at how stupid so many google systems are considering their "tech" status - has nobody at google ever thought at any stage - "Gee. i wonder how this functionality would be received by a user" OR "Hey. lets do some user testing to see how common people cope with this new product"

I am perplexed at how Google became as big as they did - they clearly appear to have avoided employing any experts!

Thankfully I copied and pasted this rant to a text document because I wouldn't you believe it - when hitting submit, the forum returned an error and lost the post... yet another sign of product failure by Google

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Places OR Business OR Pages OR Maps or whatever it is is rooted!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Shannon W

Grab a cuppa and lets crack on.

The product has had 3 names: Local Business Center >> Google Places >> Google My Business

Google My Business was launched June 2014.

To see what you have in your account, you can navigate direct to your account dashboard : 

https://business.google.com/manage/

When you say three listings, could you provide the URL's and I can tell you what types of pages they are.

You may have a personal account, brand page and a business page. Or you may have inadvertently created 3 business pages.

To create a new business page, you are correct in starting at https://www.google.com.au/business/

Create a Google Business Page

Your Adwords account should not have just pulled through your business pages, these need to be physically added to the Location Extension for each campaign.

I would speak to your AdWords rep.

Secondly, location extensions only show on ads that are within the businesses location, so not sure on how your location extensions were appearing else where.

Again speak to your AdWords rep

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
>> When you say three listings, could you provide the URL's and I can tell you what types of pages they are.

I don't see 3 listings anymore - I only see 1.

>> Your Adwords account should not have just pulled through your business pages, these need to be physically added to the Location Extension for each campaign.
>> I would speak to your AdWords rep.

It did and my adwords rep said that's what happens and they just pull extensions from business pages - It's not their fault, speak to business pages team!!!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Shannon W

I have never heard of a location extension being pulled into adwords.

Adwords is not my domain, however, if you log into your account ( adwords ) go into the campaign, select location extensions, then remove the location extension.

There abouts, not to sure on the exact steps. Why did adwords rep not guide you through that 

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I can tell you it is definitely pulling location from places or whatever it is called - AdWords confirmed and told me it wasn't their problem - needed to go to google business to get them to sort it out.

I have finally found some duplication (this was extremely difficult but I stumbled across it in a unrelated search)

https://plus.google.com/+OleyMediaGroupMulgrave (Verified listing)
https://plus.google.com/+OleymediagroupAu2014 (Listing that's linked in busienss and I am posting to (unverified))

Confusing much?

I'm not saying that I didn;t do whatever it is I've done and I probably created this mess BUT that's because the process was so unintuitive, I had no idea what I was doing or how I was supposed to be doing!!!

I will also note - originally I had a google page which was just /OleyMediaGroup but the address was wrong and somehow a duplicate got involved and Google in their wisdom, deleted this page and now I can't even use my brand name - I had to create these variations...

I don't even know what I was doing - I think I actually thought i was changing the name or something.

NOTE: I have a strong technical background and even the google setup is too confusing for me to figure out