My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Place Listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does my business not pop up on the google places map. For instance when I google "Grand Junction Photographer", a bunch of other local Photo Studios are shown on a white box with all their info and they're marked on a map- but mine is not. I have had mybusiness account for almost a year and I am verified. 
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 4.13.07 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Place Listings

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What's your business name/phone/website?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ablaze Photography, 970-712-4561, www.ablazephotographycolorado.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ablaze Photography, 970-712-4561, www.ablazephotographycolorado.com

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Mainly because of the address you have chosen to use for your listing. You're too far away from Grand Junction. If you were to use the address that is on the contact page of your website you will greatly increase your chances of appearing in the map results for "Grand Junction Photographer".

If you can add "Grand Junction, CO" to the title tag on your website that will help too... or even just go all out with "Ablaze Photography - Grand Junction Photographer"

Looks like you also have an issue with your analytics tracking snippet (but this isn't impacting your map result).

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Daquari G

Tom's suggestions are true, but be careful before you take all that advice directly. He's right that you have a different address on your Google My Business profile than you do on your website. You should definitely use the same address everywhere (same one on yelp, and Facebook and anywhere else you create a profile for your business) but you shouldn't just use the one that's most advantageous, you should be using a real address. If 1792 Lesa Ct. Grand Junction, CO 81503 is a real address though (maybe you moved?) then by all means update your Google My Business profile.You will probably also want to mark your business as a service area business too, so that your address is hidden. Unless people can drop by your house unannounced and expect to be served, you need to have your address hidden so people need to call instead. 

You should also NOT change your business name. It does make a difference so it's true that it 'works' but it's against Google Guidelines and can get you in trouble.

"Adding unnecessary information to your name (e.g., "Google Inc. - Mountain View Corporate Headquarters" instead of "Google") by including marketing taglines, store codes, special characters, hours or closed/open status, phone numbers, website URLs, service/product information, location/address or directions, or containment information (e.g. "Chase ATM in Duane Reade") is not permitted."

Many people don't type in searches with a location though, they'll just be typing in 'photographer' or 'baby photographer' or something like that. If you do nothing else, you're already going to appear for people doing searches like that on their phone or desktop within a few miles of where you live. That'll keep being the case after you hide your address, regardless of where you set your service area (service area doesn't change where you appear). 

Adding grand junction to your title tags doesn't really help all that much either anymore, according to at least one recent study

What makes a huge difference though, is how many other websites link to your website. If you ever donate your photography to local events, if you have relationships with other business owners, if you ever get your work featured, if you're ever mentioned by name in a local publication, etc. always ask for a link back to your site. Start submitting your work to Two Bright Lights, and as you find publications that publish your style of work, start submitting things you think they'd publish. It might be slow going, but even one or two links from a popular site can make a huge difference in where your website appears. Right now I didn't find you anywhere in the first 10 pages even, and Majestic couldn't find a single other site linking to yours. If you want to change your rankings, that's where you need to start. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Excellent info, thank you. I understand that I have not generated a lot of organic SEO so I won't be on the first page of Google but I'm wondering why am I not appearing on Google Places map? Like I'm the image I posted. There are photography businesses on that page there are not even in business anymore.
And as far as the address goes I'm having trouble deciding what to do there the 1792 address is where I live that's where I need to receive my mail. The location in Fruita is my physical Photography Studio I do not receive mail at this location..

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Glad I could help. 

I would use your home address then if I were you, even if your actual photography studio is at the 960 address, if you're by appointment only and don't take walk-ins, you're still going to need to hide your address. The fact that your home is closer to the city, and the fact that you actually receive mail there (to me at least) makes that the right choice. On the other hand, if you're very mindful of privacy and want to make absolutely sure your home address doesn't display anywhere, then you'd be better off picking the other address. many of the business directories you'll eventually want to register your business with (Facebook, Yelp, manta, bing) won't always let you hide your address, so if you absolutely need your home address hidden, you won't always be able to do that with some of the sites you'll want to register at. 

As far as why the maps works the way it does... organic ranking is a big factor, and it's been that way for at least a year. I did a search for "Grand Junction Photographer", the second and third businesses at least had their websites ranking right up near the top of the page as well. I'm not sure at a glance why Cat Mayer was showing number one since their site was nowhere to be seen, but as with all things Google, this is an art, not a science. 

There's a lot of things that can go into where you rank (getting reviews, building backlinks, setting up your website correctly, and so on) but I still stand by my number one recommendation. As far as why entries are showing that are out of business, you can mark them as closed yourself by suggesting an edit if they're actually closed. Google knows a lot, but they definitely don't know everything yet, and SEO is kind of like a freight train. It takes miles to get up to speed, but once you're trucking along it can take a long time to put on the brakes too. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I didn't suggest changing the business name, just the modifying the title tags. But I'm glad James pointed that out in case there was any confusion.

And yes, you need links to your website!

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Whoops, sometimes I miss things when I'm moving a mile a minute, sorry about that @TomW. You're right, I definitely misread that.