My Business
824 members online now
824 members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google+ Personal page or Business page, or both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there.

We have just built our Google+ business page for our brand, but when we send emails out from our Gmail, you see when you hover over the sender's name (in the recipient's gmail), you can see a link to their Google Plus page right? It doesn't happen for our emails. Instead, it says add and invite. When I go back in to our Gmail, it asks me if I want to join Google Plus. But I already have?? I've made the business page for our brand and that's where I want to post updates from. It seems I need to make 2 Google plus pages. What I am actually trying to do is have our company logo appear on emails we send out. But Google is not properly linking our gmail address to our google plus (business) profile.

Please advise us! I rather not people end up following our personal page (if we were to end up making one) instead of our business page.

Many thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google+ Personal page or Business page, or both?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Umar

There's a bit going on here so hopefully I can answer it all!

Firstly the logo / picture that appears on emails sent from GMail comes from the Google account settings, not the GMB listing. If you go here: https://myaccount.google.com/ and click the picture in the middle of the blue shield you can upload your company logo.

Secondly, if you'd like people to follow your Business page then I recommend adding a direct link to it in the signature block of your email. You can create a short URL for it by using something like goo.gl. This will also track how many people have clicked on that particular link! This means that no matter how the other person receives your email (GMail, Outlook, Thunderbird etc) they'll still see an option to go to your Business page.

I hope this helps.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

Many thanks for your reply. Regarding the blue shield pic, that is already set up. Yet despite that our pic does not appear in Gmail in the recipient's end. There is just a default placeholder pic.

Secondly, regarding putting a link in our email footers, that seems like a good idea. But, I am still trying to work out if whether in the end I must open a Google plus personal profile in addition to our business one. And when I do, where should I post updates, such as new products etc, on the business or personal? If someone searches for us on google plus which will they find, our business or personal?

I appreciate your guidance and time, thank you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Umar

Regarding the GMail picture issue, the help article here might be more useful to you than my original answer: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/35529?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Without knowing your business model or industry I can't really answer your second question and it's not really the focus of this forum. However I will provide a bit of general advice - remember I don't know anything about how your business operates :)

Very few people search Google+ for a business - they will use general Google for that purpose or maybe Maps. Google+ pages do not show up in general Google searches, though the business information and photos on a Google+ Local (GMB) page will show up in the right hand side Knowledge Panel and Maps.

Therefore, posting updates on a Google+ page is of limited value, unless you have a very niche audience who are likely to want to come to Google+ to interact with you.

Consultants, sole traders, solopreneurs in certain industries (marketing, technology, search engine optimisation, photography) do have a better chance of people searching for them in Google+, especially if they have built a personal brand, and are providing strong content in Google+. This is where a personal profile (in your name, not the business name) can be handy.

But again, it depends on your business model, industry and time available. For 90% of local businesses I'd recommend setting up a GMB page; optimising it with photos, descriptions, opening hours, categories etc; and then simply maintaining it as things change - holiday closing hours, new photos etc.

Use your website to provide great content about your products and services and use the GMB page as a directory listing (like Yellow Pages or Yelp).

I hope that helps.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog