My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business a total joke. Worst customer service experience I've had in a long time.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Having issues with Google My Business? You are not alone, not in the slightest. I can tell from all the posts on this forum as well as from personal experience that there is no 'customer support', just a bunch of people that answer the phone to tell you that they can't do anything.

Our business listing suddenly disappeared and was replaced with the name of one of the employees. So I click on a few help pages and find a support line to which they are supposed to call me. I get the call, it connects, I say hello, then they hang up... What a great start.

I call again, and finally get somebody I can barely understand who apparently doesn't know anything about anything, and can't actually do anything either. I'd kill for a job where I can just tell everyone who calls me that nothing can be done, and then hang up on them. The great part is feedback is only available AFTER the call, so if they hang up on you, you can't leave any feedback so they can't get in trouble.

So I tell this lady my issues, and she says she'll look into them, then I get hung up on again.

The next day I get an email with NO SUBJECT, that looks very spammy but lo and behold it's actually a legit email from Google My Business. The geniuses over there don't understand what my question is and want me to clarify.

What do they want me to clarify? They apparently looked at our website, and because one of the employees name is on the website, then the deletion of our listing and replacement with just an employee name and nothing else is justified.

Get this, in order to fix it, they want me to DELETE our staff page on the website. Make sense to you? Not to me either.

So I call them again. I get hung up on just after I gave them my email, again. Call back AGAIN and finally talk to another ESL guy who I can at least mostly understand. He goes on to tell me he is also powerless, but if I want I can talk to his supervisor, who 'can't do anything either sorry'. Our business listing 'won't be on the google' for 'several weeks' because I made the HUGE mistake of trying to correct our suite number to match USPS standard formatting. Oh, and I made the cardinal sin of updating our profile to show that, as a medical clinic, we don't do deliveries. I'm so sorry Google, I really am. I didn't know you wanted us to falsely advertise our services and get sued. I'll never do it again so can you please restore our listing?

Oh, by the way, I opted to hold for the supervisor and got hung up on again.

I think we should just give up, Google has made it pretty clear how much of a priority their customers are. For my part I'm pulling the $2k adwords we're doing every month. Probably a pittance in Google's eyes but hey, it's all I can do to protest their pisspoor service.

Good luck everyone!

Wow. Just wow.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google My Business a total joke. Worst customer service experience I've had in a long time.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

wow, Just Wow, I concur.

sorry that you had to go through that awful experience, and yes you are not alone. I thank you for speaking up.

Now if you are inclined, we ( us volunteers in this "users helping users platform") can try to offer some assistance, by looking, reviewing and potential expediting the situation for you.  In order to do that we will need some basic information.

including the following :
1. Full business name
2. Current business address
3. Current telephone number
4. Google+ URL

Google My Business a total joke. Worst customer service experience I've had in a long time.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for looking into it. Maybe you'll have more luck.

1. Full business name

Midway Chiropractic

2. Current business address

23100 PACIFIC HWY S #201 DES MOINES, WA 98198 (Should be 23100 PACIFIC HWY S STE 201 DES MOINES WA 98198-7281 as per USPS)

3. Current telephone number

1-206-824-9500

4. Google+ URL

https://plus.google.com/+Midwaychiropractic

Also anybody notice how hard it is to get to the Google+ pages for businesses now? You get a full run-around from Maps, Google Search, Youtube, etc etc

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Replied to main post, thanks.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Am I missing something??

I see your Listing is Verified.

It comes up in google search for it's name and address

I see you rank 3 in Maps for Chiropractor in Des Moines, Washington

I looked at the website view source, and you have structured data and all the right pieces in place from a coding Aspect.

I don't see any listing from the former employee...

So Since it is verified, it is ranking and you want to Make an Edit to the address.  You would login to your profile and edit the address data.

Be logged into the proper associated Google Email account and simply click here to your dashboard

Login into Google with the main Google email account and go here to check if an official verified Google my business appears 

( Before you do, Make sure the Email address you are using for the GMB page, is also verified through Google Webmaster Tool / Search Console for the Domain. the www version.  verification should be instant since you have a Google Analytics code with ending -1 ( I assume you have access to that)  or you can add the meta code data from Search console to your Yoast Plugin in wordpress.)

Extra Tip:  Make sure your website for your business is verified through Google Webmaster Tools (now known as Search Console), with the email address you use for Google My Business.     Google Webmaster Tools / Search Console https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

If I am missing something more then the address change let me know.

I don't see any listings as you described prior as a former employee..

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for looking into it.

Your confusion is caused by Google's ridiculously convoluted relationship among it's many, many, MANY incompatible products.

I see your Listing is Verified. In my experience thus far this is irrelevant other than having a nice icon next to the business name.
It comes up in google search for it's name and address - Search results are heavily dependent on the mostly inaccurate geolocation of the searcher's IP. Did you set your location or is it using your IP to decide where you are? As a medical clinic we are not a national business so results for anyone outside our immediate area is meaningless to us.
I see you rank 3 in Maps for Chiropractor in Des Moines, Washington - What did you search for? "Chiropractor in Des Moines, Washington"?
I looked at the website view source, and you have structured data and all the right pieces in place from a coding Aspect. - Thus my frustration when Google screws things up and tries to blame our site...
I don't see any listing from the former employee... - Again, depends on where Google thinks you are searching from, I get everything EXCEPT for our business...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Update: Got a call back from the person who sent the useless email. She claims that her 'team' said there is nothing they can do because 'Google's policy.' From what I can discern, Google allows a separate map listing for individual doctors and attorneys regardless of business affiliation. They apparently don't even check if they are valid. I could put "Dr. Mickey Mouse" on our webpage and according to her Google Maps will happily add a marker for Dr. Mouse. I told her my issue was that it REPLACED our actual business listing and she kept on going on and on like a broken record that it was Google policy and they can't do anything and that I have to 'optimize my business listing.'

I called Adwords and told them to shut off all our marketing because of their inept business practices and the rep didn't even attempt to ask what issues we were having. They. Just. Don't. Care.

Oh and at the end of the call she blurted out something to the effect of "WE VALUE FEEDBACK PLEASE LEAVE SOME AFTER THIS CALL" then promptly hung up. Every time I call it asks to wait after the conversation to leave feedback, and every time it has just hung up.

Customers == Replaceable Trash to Google.

Re: Google My Business a total joke. Worst customer service experience I've had in a long time.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Tallon,

using normal search yes you rank 3 for Chiropractor Des Monies Washingtion

des m.JPG

yes I am well aware of IP, GeoLocations of Websearch :)

So using the Adwords Preview Tool and setting the Location as Des Moines Wa I get all of the following results in the Map box

for the various keyword choices

Chiropractor in Des Moines Washington #3 in Maps

des m 2-ad preview.JPG

Chiropractor in Des Moines Wa  #3 in Maps

des m 3.JPG

Chiropractor Des Moines #3 in Maps

des m 4.JPG

The generic term

Chiropractor  not in top 3

des 5.JPG

Forget the crap that the 3rd world Call center is telling you - Total Baloney ( as you already know)

Does the Former Employee Listing show in your Google My Business Dashboard?

Can you show the Maps URL with that Former Employee listing?

I am not seeing it in mapmaker either for the address ( but could be their under the name)

Google Does allow a Doctor to have a listing as well, but they have to go through the same verification process as the Business - claim, verify with PIN.  Unless it is a Maps Listing that is being pulled from a "reliable source" like Healthgrades, Vitals etc medical websites.  Has nothing to do with your current website.

As I have shown above using the Adword Preview tool, to target your area and the keyword choices, you are showing up.

So, I want you to open a new browser one you have not used prior ( or one you can clear all cookies and cache) Do not log into google.   Do your searches.

Tell me the search keywords and what comes up for you - if you can screen shot ( great) are you seeing yourself, the former doc, or nowhere to be found?

I also want you to give me the information on the Former Dr Listing ( name) URL that you see when you click the listing, even a screen shot, and keyword terms to bring that result.

Now a question about your Adwords,  were you using Adwords Express, or did you have access to an actual adword account that you manage? Because you can Pause, stop etc everything yourself at any time.

PS.All the calls to the help centers are Recorded, so you can Voice your Frustration "During the Call itself" and that is Recorded.  I do it all the time, because of the "Hang-up" potential.

I understand your frustration, believe me, and want to get to the bottom of why you are seeing something different.  And YES 1000% the 3rd world call center phone reps situation is a the most horrible it could ever be..

But you voicing your concerns in this professional manner, and explaining the treatment and process you have had to deal with is a positive to get into the eyes of those that matter at Google.  You are not alone in this arena at all. And I thank you again for taking your time to explain.

PS. I am not a Google Employee ( obviously, just a volunteer) but this will be seen by those that matter....

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Tallon N

I am going to leave you in @Eric Gehler capable hands.

One thing I would suggest though, is actually using your postal address within your structured data and not use Geo Coordinates, as these are already slightly incorrect.

I would also include SameAs for your social profiles.

This gives Googlebot a rounder understanding of your business and its location.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That actually brings up another annoying issue I've had with Google.

Google geolocates us as being in Renton (or Kent depending on the day), Washington. Not Des Moines.

Now this isn't technically Google's fault originally, our ISP Comcast apparently only has nodes in all the cities around us except the one our address is in, so everyone in the area who searches will get wildly different results depending on their ISP.

On top of that, while our postal address is in Des Moines, we're actually technically in Kent, and only a stone's throw (literally) away from Seatac.

So while these particular issues originate from our unique situation, Google's many algorithms add yet another needless level of complexity in trying to get our information out to the people who need it.

Apologies for the confusion, the erroneous listings in question are actually current employees. Which is why the call center rep had suggested we delete the staff page to make the errors go away 'in a few months'. I don't understand why they think that pulling bad data from the web instead of listening to the business itself is a good idea.

Here is a shot of what I get when searching for chiropractor (clean firefox portable install so no worries about cache)

FireShot Capture 2 - chiropractor - Google Search_ - https___www.google.com_.png

From my experience and looking through the metrics, most people don't search for things while appending the city name, so I stopped looking for '<keyword> near/in des moines wa'. I only measure results using direct keywords.