My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business Insights - Total Search vs. Total Views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

New to Google My Business and even with reading the support page I'm unclear on the difference in the Insights between total searches and total views. How are my views 3x larger than my searches? What constitutes a search vs. a view, and how can a view happen without a search? 

Any clarification would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I second the question. these numbers are meaningless without a clear definition what "Searches" are and what "Views" are. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same question here. What is the exact meaning of "Searches" and "Views" in this report? Do these questions get answered in this Community Forum?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same question. Were you able to find an answer?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Google’s response to this was: “My thought here is that it’s total views (someone pulls up Maps, sees the local businesses along the side, even though they were searching for something else, scrolls through their local area and sees multiple listings, etc) versus actual searches where users are searching for your business name or the category and they pull up your business. This would explain the pretty large discrepancy as well”.

Given this explanation, total views should always be a much more inflated number that is way less accurate when reflecting how much people are actually seeing your business online.  

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I knew @JoyHawkins would know the answer! Thanks for your response!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Total searches - This is the number of times your business has been searched overall (Direct + Discovery)

Total views - The total number of times your specific business was chosen to be examined further. (Maps + Search).

I received this definition from Google I'm still not sure how Total Views is always higher than Total Searches, because Total Views is more specific. Still working with Google to get a more clear explanation. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Meghan S

Given the explanation I posted above it makes sense that views are always higher. For example, your listing shows up on a competitor's listing at the bottom where it shows related places. This would count as a view, not a search.  Searches are definitely the more accurate of the 2.  I think of views kinda like impressions on the display network.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Joy is correct.  Views are like the display network metrics for impressions of your listing on Google Search and Maps.  Basically how many times your listing was displayed within a search.  As we all know, your listing can show up multiple times on the SERP via your website link or multiple publishers.  The "People also search for" section below the knowledge graph is also another view that counts.  Therefore, "Views" will always be the larger metric out of the two.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think we need to go back to the original Greek text and confirm what the authors really meant.......  ;-)