My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Maps listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does my business listing show a lock icon on the map?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angela E
July 2016

Re: Google Maps listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No we do not have a retail space.
Without the address listed will we still have a square on the map? I can just go in and remove the street number.

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Angela E,

Can you please provide the information about your business? Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Midloplumbing.com
214-684-7289

Sent from Angela's iPad

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, yes - the icon is actually a small shopping bag icon known as a place label. I see that you are a plumber and have marked that you serve businesses at your location, do you have a retail store?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angela E
July 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No we do not have a retail space.
Without the address listed will we still have a square on the map? I can just go in and remove the street number.

Sent from my iPhone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Meghan
Ok I changed the type of business to service and took out the address. Now I don't have an icon on the map at all. Help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Angela,

Since you do not serve customers at your location, you should represent yourself as a Service area business (hiding your address how you are now). Although you don't have a pushpin on the map marking a physical location, your information will still appear for relevant searches in your area. This is accurate since you are not located in 1 spot, but do service an area. This is Google's guideline for how to represent your service area business. Also here's an additional thread about a similar question. If you were to display your address but do not serve customers at your location, it's possible (and likely) that Google would flag and suspend your listing for misrepresenting your business. But you should be all set now.

Hope this helps!
Meghan 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! It gets so complicated for us laymen! Thanks again!