My Business
6K members online now
6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Maps listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have a question as to why my google maps listing shows up in organic listings when searching on a phone however when using the same search terms on a computer only one business shows up on the right hand side of the screen and no other listings are shown at all.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Google Maps listing

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nicholas,
That query returns a one-box result, it is a failure by Google to recognize how people do searches and returns instead just one result, one that matches a single business with a name that resembles the query.
The query "movers near norman Oklahoma" returns more general results that include several businesses.
https://www.google.com/#q=movers+near+norman+Oklahoma
Although the matter has been brought to the attention of Google a few years ago they keep insisting that the search algorithms are working as intended.
The intention of the one-box result is to anticipate what the searcher is looking for and present him/her with one result for the closest match to the query. Although it works relatively well for a lot of generic searches, it does not do as well for local business searches.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nicholas,
What is the search term that you use and what is your business name and full address?
Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is movers norman Oklahoma
My business info is
Serenity Moving Services
1706 pamela circle
norman, Ok 73071
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nicholas,
That query returns a one-box result, it is a failure by Google to recognize how people do searches and returns instead just one result, one that matches a single business with a name that resembles the query.
The query "movers near norman Oklahoma" returns more general results that include several businesses.
https://www.google.com/#q=movers+near+norman+Oklahoma
Although the matter has been brought to the attention of Google a few years ago they keep insisting that the search algorithms are working as intended.
The intention of the one-box result is to anticipate what the searcher is looking for and present him/her with one result for the closest match to the query. Although it works relatively well for a lot of generic searches, it does not do as well for local business searches.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is unfair and I regularly represents our industry qnd also poses the
biggest financial gain to the person who spends the most add dollars on
google

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The result is not related to the spending of money on advertising on Google. It is just a search algorithm that does not work well for local listings but that Google does not seem willing to improve.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Map for bad guys

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Maps for bad guys