AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Maps Showing Incorrect Picture of My Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - 

Is there a way to explicitly change the photo on your Google Maps listing?  I have a Google Business page and the picture being referenced on the map is not coming from my profile anywhere. It looks like something user submitted or scraped by Google (though it IS from my business - it's an interior shot). This image is used on the Knowledge box for a brand search for my business as well. For the purposes of users, my business has a VERY iconic front awning which is the obvious choice for a maps listing and is my profile image on our business page. Regardless, G isn't grabbing it. Thanks for any help you may provide? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Google Maps Showing Incorrect Picture of My Business

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Yup @Matt R

I think we are going to have a problem, especially with the 360 tour which Google shows as a preference as they know they are "trusted photographers" and therefore these should be the best images.

I added your preferred photo to public image ( you never know )

The only thing I can suggest is to contact support :

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

The reason I say this, is because all "manage photo" options are being removed from the new version, so if they are removing the owners ability to manage photos, perhaps they have something in place.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Matt R

It sounds like they added it to the "upload to public".

In the About Page  ( has to be in Classic G+  and not new version )

screencapture (24).png

Scroll down to image, select image.

It wont have a delete option available, but try a hard refresh >> CTRL + F5

This usually works and brings up a  Trash Icon >> delete the Image

If that fails ( touch wood it does not ) then for the public image you will need to select the more button and report it.

I also assume that you have your Logo and Header image properly displayed.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tim - but I have (maybe) a dumb question: how do I switch back to classic G+? We're already in full new mode (which I despise by the way). Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi

Bottom left hand corner, it should be in light grey

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Tim. I was able to load that section and get in there, but the image they're referring for maps is not in there. Any other thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Matt R

Can you provide a screenshot of where you are seeing the image, or perhaps a link to the search result that brings up the image in question?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Can you click on the image and provide the URL, thanks

Also what Priya suggested

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Matt R!

There is another option that I have seen work: I know a company that had success influencing photos on their Google properties by hiring a "Google Street View" photographer.

Note- these were profile photos, not just the digital tour.

I know there are other, cheaper ways to influence your profile photos but I thought I'd mention that as well. This option would also do your awning some justice. 

Best of luck to you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK - I think I've determined the problem. We had a walkthrough photographer come through to do our 360 degree tour a couple of years ago. This is listed on our profile. It looks like Google is drawing this image from there. 

The Business is 'That Fish Place - That Pet Place' - we're a pet store in Lancaster, PA 17603. 

- Here is a link to the Maps listing - https://www.google.com/maps/place/That+Fish+Place+-+That+Pet+Place/@40.047623,-76.393854,17z/data=!3...

Currently - it's showing our Google walkthrough as the main image here. 

When I search our brand from Lancaster PA - 17603 - I see an interior shot. Note - this interior shot is NOT listed anywhere in our small business profile directly - but IS listed on the images in google maps - and the source is the walkthrough. What I REALLY want, and have set as our preferred image in my business profile, is for our iconic shark awning to be the image. I truly think this is the best shot for customers too because it's very recognizable from the road. To make matters worse, the profile DOES reference the shark awning other places, but they're old shots and we're recently had it refurbished. How can I get Google to take action and use the image I suggested? 

Shark Awning I'd like to see - https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dW0_O-ksALk/VjDMILarNAI/AAAAAAAAV44/ShKi7DVZ1Es/s865-no/IMG_4780....

Shot that's showing on branded search for business in Lancaster - https://www.google.com/maps/place/That+Fish+Place+-+That+Pet+Place/@40.0473466,-76.3927468,3a,75y/da...

PS - the editor doesn't seem to like my uploaded images...sorry for the long links..

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Yup @Matt R

I think we are going to have a problem, especially with the 360 tour which Google shows as a preference as they know they are "trusted photographers" and therefore these should be the best images.

I added your preferred photo to public image ( you never know )

The only thing I can suggest is to contact support :

https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

The reason I say this, is because all "manage photo" options are being removed from the new version, so if they are removing the owners ability to manage photos, perhaps they have something in place.