My Business
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Map Listing is not showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a Social Security Lawyer with offices in St. Joseph and Niles Michigan. I have had my Google Paces listings for several months, but I do not show when someone searches for a Social Security Lawyer, only when I search directly by my name. Is there anything more I can do to be found?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gennel+laluna+schaeffer&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS736US736&oq=gennel+laluna+sc...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google rarely ranks brand new businesses very high because of the high volume of spam that they get. They need more signals to help them know that your business is real and that it matters more than the current people they have listed. The only way they will start to increase your ranking is if you work on all the different aspects that impact Local Search ranking. If you aren't familiar with Local SEO you could read this: http://radicalmustache.com/ultimate-local-seo-guide/.  Google's take on ranking: https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The website has been up for a year and the Google map listing have been up for several months. Why would it still be considered new? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The listing is complete as far as I can tell and there is one review on it, which is more than other listings

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey @Thomas B

Several months is not a long time in the Google world :) I set up a listing for a new business and it took several weeks before it even showed up for a branded search.  Once it started getting reviews it took another week or 2 to show those for a branded search.  Generally ranking a new site takes 6 months+ if you have an active SEO strategy.  

Are you doing anything actively to optimize your site or promote it anywhere?  The legal space is one of the most competitive industries out there so having a website generally isn't enough to rank well. 

The article I referenced gives you a good big picture of some of the things that you need to rank well but keep in mind that there are hundreds of ranking factors so having the most reviews won't necessarily get you listed highest.  If that was all it took to rank well you'd probably find a lot more fake reviews out there :)

Doing a search for "Family Lawyer St Joseph MI" it looks like your practice listing is 4th so you are ranking there.

It looks like you have several listings and I would keep in mind that Google has a filter that actively filters out similar listings so it's likely that 1 or 2 of your listings will rank and the others will be filtered for a given term. More on that topic here: 

Here are the listings I found at your one address (I didn't check the other):

Main practice listing

Duplicate practice listing

Gennel's listing

Thomas' listing

The first 2 should be merged. Do you have them both in the same account?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Google Map Listing is not showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is the problem, the law firm shows, but the individual attorney
listings, which go to their own websites, never do. I have made sure the
listings have pictures and are completely filled out, but that has not
helped.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Thomas B that is because Google prefers the firm listing and it has stronger ranking.  The individual listings are getting filtered. If you want the attorney listings to be the ones to rank you need to build a strategy around that but if you want them all to rank, that is most likely impossible.  Google generally only shows 1-2 listings from the same area/address and filters the rest.  

Here is another article on the topic: https://whitespark.ca/blog/best-practices-for-practitioner-listings-on-google-my-business-gmb/

Owner of Sterling Sky