My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Local Listing Concern

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Business, The Reef, in Bremerton, WA has been open and google verified for seven months.  Although it shows up in the google local listings for search "The Reef", it does not show up for searches under it's category, which is "pot shop bremerton".  In fact, in a Google Local search of "Pot Shop Bremerton, The Reef", our listing not only does not come up, it directs customers to our competition!

We have been verified, have been active on Google+, have better reviews and more of them, than our competition, have hired an SEO expert.  I have done all that I believe can and should be done, and yet we are still not showing up in searched for our category of business, while our competition readily does.

Is there a secret code?  Is there someone at google that can look and see what might be preventing us from appearing?

The Reef

1107 N Callow Avenue

Bremerton, WA  98312

360-813-1874

https://plus.google.com/114788590861023882964/posts

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Local Listing Concern

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Accounts T

you mentioned the category "pot shop bremerton" for your listing.

But this category isn't shown with your listing;

https://plus.google.com/114788590861023882964/about

It shows instead this three cat's:

Herb Shop
Drug Store
Vaporizer Store
Does this infromation help you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pot Shop Bremerton is not a "category" that Google allows to populate. It seems like the "drop down" categories that populate are all very narrow. Is there a way around that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
nope - we all have to use their list of defaul categories.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So how do I get my company to populate on google maps, like my competition does, with a very common, but not "drop down" search category? My competition, I have checked, is not using a better drop down category than me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Accounts T

a good and common practice is sending strong signals from your website to Google about categories not in their default list.

Have you heard about "structured data" and schema.org to realize structured data?