My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Business Profile not showing up for applicable searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Google,

We have a Google Business profile that appears to be setup properly and displays as expected in Google Maps and browser when searching for the business name.  However, the business does not show up in results for any search terms that would apply to the business (ie grocery store, cafe, etc).  Is there anything that can be done about this?

The business is With Love Market & Cafe located in Los Angeles.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=grocery+near+me&rlz=1C1AVSA_enUS454US454&oq=grocery+near+me&aqs=chro...

Thanks!

Eric

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ben Fisher (Top Contributor)
March

Re: Google Business Profile not showing up for applicable searches

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Eric A

This is a rather complex issue, not related to your My Business listing, but I will provide some basics to get you going in the right direction. 

Once a small business creates a website, they must work on making that website a great user experience for visitors. How do they do that? They provide a well-structured website with relevant content presented on a fast-loading and mobile-responsive, modern website. It also must not have errors or issues that harm a visitor or that prevents Google from crawling your website. 

Once Google Search Console is reviewed, let's check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. Search Console will also show you error pages and a lot of other important stuff about your website. You can check this as often as you like.  

You should be using Google Analytics and Google Search Console to better understand what is happening with your website. 

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Developers Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker (SEO = search engine optimization).

5) Visit Google Analytics and setup your website (if it not already).

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download & use. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4. Now go to step #5 and dig into what is actually happening with visitors and your website.

From here, you need to have a strong and consistent social presence that is updated with content related to your products & services. And you need to utilize a local online presence by being listed on local directories (YP, BBB, etc.). And all of your online information needs to be consistent and correct.

All of this will be a continual process of repeating the above steps 2-3 times per month for the life of your business.  

Please let us know what you discover and enjoy the process.

King Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James. My question was not about general SEO but about not showing up in Google Maps/Places related search results. The business listing exists as it can be found if you search the business name but does not show up for any keyword searches.

For example, "coffee near me" does not show With Love Market & Cafe despite it being the top rated Coffee shop in the area per Yelp.

https://www.google.com/#q=coffee near me 90007&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=34025784,-118287798,1070&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf_msr:-1,lf_pl:0,lf_od:-1,lf_oh:-1,lf:1,lf_ui:9&fll=34.034445994802205,-118.29121295196535&fspn=0.030905593954514643,0.03768025612254178&fz=15&oll=34.027919749999995,-118.346445&ospn=0.15764426337939597,0.21459373098372225&oz=12&qop=1&rlfi=hd:;si:

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Eric A,

The practices that James is suggesting are all very relevant. 

You GMB Map listing is done extremely well, as is your markup as I can see a lot of data in the knowledge graph.

However, the optimization for near me searches is for the web search team

One thing I will suggest, update your G+ page with as much information about you as possible, post about things you want people to find you for as well, i see the last post was in 2015. 

I understand it can be frustrating, hopefully the web search team can tell you more.

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Eric A,

You are welcome. 

To expand on what I posted earlier and what @Ben F so perfectly presented, it is now time to dig deep into your online presence and optimize it for better performance. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks guys. Much appreciated!