My Business
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Former service keeps changing my business url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently stopped using an online ordering service that had built a website for us. We built our own site, and cancelled that service. I changed the listing to our new site, and that change was verified. However, someone (I assume this old service) has changed the url on our Google listing to the old site.

How can I prevent this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Besides changing the GmB entry you have to go out and change the url on all the other web directory data for your business. If the service entered some of that data for you they should pass any contact details or passwords over to you or change them to your details. Otherwise you will have to claim them, takes time, may need to use an email on the bottom of their directory page. Once you have changed enough Google will then regard it as your new URL. Your GmB entry is only one source of data for Google. And it trusts the crowd more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Makes sense, thanks! Still, one thing is a mystery: my edit was approved, and for a while the GmB listing displayed the correct url. Why was it changed back? Did a human initiate this change, or was it automatic due to an abundance of web directory data?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fusion N
July

Re: Former service keeps changing my business url

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It will be because of old web data out there. Until most of it is for the new business details Google will scrape and trust that over your listing.

One problem is higher directories like Localeze and City Search scraping your data as well. And then pushing that down to smaller directories. Its a cycle you have to break into.

https://moz.com/learn/local/local-search-data-us

Where you can update the major ones mentioned here first and check and refresh if needed every month. Until your search result listing shows as you want.

You should check that for the search terms you want to appear for do work once a month. To catch and Google suspension of incorrectly copied data out there being scraped for you.

I only found out a GmB listing of mine had not been working during my busiest time by chance. Thats how I found this Forum and started posting in it.