My Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Force another business to change their address info

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've moved to a new house that the previous owners operated a home business out of. I don't know who or where they are now, but how do we get them or Google to take the information out? I don't want people showing up on our doorstep looking for this business.
Thank you!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Nathan,

Look up the business in Google maps by name. In the business information area to the left, there will be an option for 'suggest an edit'. The top option is a big yes/no button for 'place is permanently closed or has never existed'. If it moved and you know the new address, you can select that option. If you don't, you can select 'place is permanently closed'. If you'd like more direct help, you'll need to include the business information for us to find the listing. Hope that helps. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James.
If I choose the 'place is permanently closed' option, will (A) the business owner still be able to put in their new address? And (B) will Google maps eventually clear that off of the map at my address? I ask because I had tried that before, and the business stayed on the map at my address, just with a "Permanently Closed" tag. What function will actually remove the listing from my home address?  
Thanks for your help!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Permanently closed businesses don't appear to display in the 3-pack or local finder anymore. It shouldn't display for anything other than a brand name search for the old business, or potentially a search for your home address. Not ideal maybe, but no one new would be seeing that information anywhere at least. 

There's no way to completely remove the business. Google prefers to give searchers concrete information (it's closed) instead of a more nebulous 'it vanished'. The old business owner would be able to change the address and reopen the business if they were ever inclined. If they have a new listing and you mark the old one as 'moved' instead of permanently closed, or if the listing has the addressed updated to reflect the new location, that would remove it in association with your address in a much more permanent way. 

If you happen to be operating a business from your home address, be warned that having a permanently closed location used to interfere with ranking any other businesses, though I suspect that doesn't happen anymore these days. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.