My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

For locations abroad, in what language should I write my business description? (Also, which TLD)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Community,

we are a German hotel company with locations in foreign countries serving international guests. I am unsure about which language I should write our business description in. The description is not automatically translated for guests in countries with different languages, is it? 

How do you solve the language issue for international locations?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: For locations abroad, in what language should I write my business description? (Also, which TLD)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Julian B

I'm supposing the description you are talking about is the description provided by the  owner of a listing via the dashboard of GoogleMyBusiness .

But this description isn't anymore displayed if somebody searched for your bsuiness.

Pleas read this HC article "Business descriptions on Google Maps" for more information.

The user provided description is actually only visible in the classic view of G+ for the local page in question.

And there is an general issue with this description anyway as it will show on classic view of G+ for the local page only if the user of G+ is in the same language UI as being uses while creating the page in the dashboard

Means: 

even in case you woiuld  refer to the visibility of the  description in classic view of G+ for the local page and oyu have created the page in -lets say- your German UI of GoogleMyBusiness then description is visible only if an user is using G+ in German UI.

It btw shows what ever you provided as description then - suppose you created for  a hotel in Paris the description in French but creating the page in German UI of GoogleMyBusiness it will show this French description only in case thee user is using the German UI of his G+.

It's pretty confusing - I agree.

And I also believe this might be one reason for Googles decision not to show anymore the user provided description in almost all cases but replacing it by Google creates "Editorial summaries" as per https://support.google.com/business/answer/6088158?hl=en