My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

False and Slanderous Review. Please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am a manager of a hotel. We have an issue with a stalker who has used multiple social media outlets including a Google+ to post false reviews and accusations of racism against Mexicans. He has never been a guest of our hotel and is associated with a neighboring business. He has sent physical threats and tried to extort our business in the past. It has been a nightmare. We currently have a Trespassing Arrest Authorization out against him.

We flagged his Google+ review several weeks ago and I spoke with a Google+ representative last week who told me that the issue would be escalated, however the review remains posted. We are now losing business because of the false Google+, potential guests have chosen to stay elsewhere because of the false review. Can you please let me know how I can move forward with removing this post? Thank you for your help.

TownePlace Suites by Marriott San Diego Carlsbad Vista
2201 South Melrose Drive
Vista, CA 92081
(760) 216-6010
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
April 2016

Re: False and Slanderous Review. Please help!

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi @Carly L,

I'm sorry to hear of this experience for you. I've gone ahead and reported the review. I won't be able to provide you with an update once the team has investigated and taken action, but generally, they will come to a resolution within about a week. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Liz

GMB Community Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a hobby store and have had something similar happen. For me, a disgruntled ex-employee has left disparaging slanderous remarks that are complete lies. Google has been of no help in the matter. It turns out that anyone anywhere can leave any kind of review whether true or not, which defeats the purpose of having reviews. I too would like help with removing this lie.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=hangar%2018...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a hobby store and have had something similar happen. For me, a disgruntled ex-employee has left disparaging slanderous remarks that are complete lies. Google has been of no help in the matter. It turns out that anyone anywhere can leave any kind of review whether true or not, which defeats the purpose of having reviews. I too would like help with removing this lie.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=hangar%2018...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My husband and I have a car dealership in Sioux falls SD. A friend of an ex employee left a review on our google site saying my husband was a creep who was hitting on her and touching her leg on a test drive. this woman has never been to the business or test drove  a car at the business. she has a post out there that is making it look like my husband is a sleazeball, and makes the business looks horrible. we have tried flagging and tried calling google, NO ONE WILL HELP!!! someone PLEASE help. we are a new business and cannot have this slander out there.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=hangar%2018%20hobbies&rct=j#newwindow=1&q=grand+sport+au...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am totally convinced that Google is in the bullying and slander encouragement business. They encourage people to say whatever they want without penalty, regardless of the damage it may do to any business that is being slandered. They use absolutely NO common sense because I believe they don't have any. They don't care! And it's up to the business to file lawsuits against slanderous behavior. I checked, and a slander/libel attorney locally wants $8,000 retainer to even talk about a case against someone. I'm sure that Google must get a part of that, lol. I really wish I had better news for you. Facebook is no better. They will only remove AFTER you have a judgment ordering the removal. Yelp, however has people that can make intelligent observations about bullying and slander/libel. They obviously have compassion for business and understand the importance of truthful reviews to the business. I wouldn't mind a bad review, if it was factual. If I really did something bad, without any reason, I would expect a bad review. But when customers disrespect a business and disregard common decency, then they most likely deserve to be treated as necessary to have them removed from the business, and they really have lost the right to complain about their treatment and post bad reviews because you are trying to protect your business!!!!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Elizabeth, We also have this bad-review problem with a single individual on our Business page. How can we report it?

Thank you!

John Harbinson

https://business.google.com/b/109801583595975255622/dashboard/l/14841897017744351857

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@ElizabethP

I am also having an issue with a review.  A few days after we put our company out there to be reviewed, an owner from a small competing business gave us a 1 star review and also said that I was personally a criminal and that our company commits fraud.  We have never done business or interacted with this person prior to this review.  We called him to ask if he would remove the review and he told us to "f*ck off and sue him" if we want it removed.

I am not a criminal and our company does not commit fraud.  In fact, I have never been arrested and our company has been around for almost 50 years.  This man is purely doing this to slander myself and our company.  I have flagged and reported it four times but I never received a response from Google.  

Here is the LINK to our page.  

What is the best course of action?

Thank you,

Rusty

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rusty,

What I have learned is quite simple, GOOGLE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR BUSINESS!

They like controversy, they like chaos and they don't like you or your business.

The problems that I had also spread to Yelp. Within hours Yelp removed the inaccurate review, declaring that it was obviously meant to cause problems without and factual basis. They have brains, hearts, souls and CARE!

Google isn't on the side of businesses, don't have brains, hearts or souls and they DON't CARE!

I found out that it will cost me $8k just to get an attorney to consider looking at my case, and Google won't do anything without a legal judgment!

Now, if there is ANYONE who feels that ANYTHING I've said is inaccurate, please chime in and tell how Google HELPED you with false reviewers. We REALLY want to hear about it, because the rest of us are being shown a different side of Google.

Dave

PS. I have 7 of 27 reviews posted by people that have never stayed at our campground (bringing our total points to 3.9 stars), friends of an 8th person that was asked to leave the campground for violating our quiet hours, TWICE! Okay, they 8th person can leave a review that they don't like having  to avoid keeping other campers awake, even if it means breaking the rules that they signed and agreed to abide by, but the other 7 have no place to review. One CLAIMS to have camped (a lie, since there is no record of their stay with us)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Elizabeth, i have someone who has been trolling me on social media and leaving negative reviews of the business.  It started with Yelp and avvo.com.  Spread to Lawyers.com and Google.  Yelp and AVVO deleted all of the reviews once they figured out many of them had the same IP address.  With Google they aren't going away and it seems there is no one to talk to about addressing this issue.  It has drastically impacted my business this Summer.  Help.