My Business
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

False Suggested Updates Harassment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A business listing I manage on behalf of a client has been getting harassed by users that oppose the organization's views (it's a non-profit organization involved in a highly political subject). We were made aware of a Facebook group that organized an 'attack' on my client's google listing in which they had a large number of people suggest that the business is 'permanently closed'. It's difficult to constantly monitor the listing when these people make the suggestion at all times of the day (they're spread all across the US). We noticed that on mobile devices it often is appearing as "suggested as permanently closed" which is, obviously, less than beneficial.

Thankfully we've seen a drop in the number of these false suggestions, but I expect it will pick back up again the next time things get heated in the political arena.

Has anyone experienced this? How should we handle this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: False Suggested Updates Harassment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim S

The good news is that Google recently made a change that will help with one aspect of your issue. When someone marks the listing as closed, that edit suggestion will no longer show for people viewing the listing on mobile. Read more about the change here, particularly item 2: http://www.sterlingsky.ca/moderation-edits-google-maps-finally-comes-desktop/

The bad news is that you won't know when someone has suggested that the business is permanently closed unless you're a level 5 Local Guide and view the listing in the "Check the facts" section. But since it's a legit listing it would be unlikely for that edit suggestion to get approved.

More bad news is that pending edit suggestions for the name, address, website, and phone will continue to show on mobile so those will likely be targets once the harassers realize it, if they aren't trying to edit those already.

As you already know, you have to constantly monitor the listing. You can't prevent people from making edit suggestions. So for now, monitoring the listing and denying the edit suggestions seems to be the only option.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

False Suggested Updates Harassment

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim S In addition to what Tom is talking about, Google is aware of this issue. 

Please submit your issue here: https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_other_problem so they can address it directly. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO