My Business
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Fake negative reviews

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A recent negative review seems suspicious and it does not appear to be written by the customer in question.  Is there a way for me to trace the user profile created to write the review? I am unable to find an email associated with the user profile.

Also, what is Google's policy if a customer posts a negative review across multiple locations of a business?

Fake negative reviews

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If the same review is posted by one customer across clearly seperate locations where they have not had multiple real service collect the evidence and contact support.

Check if the profile has left multiple negative reviews for other business but one positive review for a competitor. Google are more likely to take down such clearly spam reviews and suspend the business doing such reviews.

Fake negative reviews

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I contacted google and said that I am a new business and still working on the marketing piece to get clients. In fact, you really have to know my  full business name & location to even find it because it does not show up in search results as it is brand new. I explained that I believe the review is fake and possibly posted by a disgruntled, unstable ex colleague & competitor. Google refused to take it down because it did not violate review guidelines and it appeared that the client had an actual experience with the business. Not to mention, the reviewer spoke about their experience with me and did not mention the business by name. Exactly one week later, the same reviewer posted the same exact review, verbatim, word for word for my other location and gave me a 1 star. They also went back and updated the rating for the first location to a 1 star. The profile of the reviewer only has two other reviews-pretty random and all places were reviewed in the last week or so. One of those places is in the same line of business as I am but it is a positive review. 

The same colleague in question has 4 different locations and within the last week or so has positive reviews posted across all 4 of the locations. (Also, the websites for all 4 locations are pretty much clones of each other with a few changes made here and there. For one website, the physical address on the site does not match the GMB address. How did Google allow that?) Another oddity is that their last review was 3 years ago. The reviews are verbatim, word for word and one review is actually posted for a brand new business which is only a few days old. The reviewer profile in question is also very new, created in the last week or so with some random reviews of other places thrown in. There is another reviewer profile that gave glowing reviews to the same business across two locations overnight but posted a scathing review for a competitor in the area.

Posting the same content multiple times is spam, according to the Google review guidelines. How do I escalate this issue because I did not have much luck on the phone? Also, how do I access the private contact form to send over this information? What evidence does Google need from me to prove that this is spam?

Re: Fake negative reviews

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Did you talk to Google?

Have you found out this extra pattern of reviews since you talked to Google?

Would there be room in the report for getting a phone call abck to include all the relevant URLs?

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Andrew

I have not contacted Google after the first review was posted. Yes, I found
the extra pattern of reviews after I talked to Google the first time. Are
you saying that I should have Google call me back after I submit the
report? I am not very familiar with how to file a report and how to access
the private contact form? Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Andrew

I have not contacted Google after the first review was posted. Yes, I found
the extra pattern of reviews after I talked to Google the first time. Are
you saying that I should have Google call me back after I submit the
report? I am not very familiar with how to file a report and how to access
the private contact form? Can you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Fake negative reviews

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I had an old link, they change, but a recent poster shared this link.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3039617?from=cuf

I found from search a very similar on just with a different number. It says the page is personalised. If you cannot include all you want to say before they call you need a script of what to say for the call.

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I spoke with a google rep on the phone today. He told me I cannot report another business that is posting fake reviews or has clone websites if I am not associated with that business! How does that even make sense? If I am associated with the business, why would I report my own business of posting spam? Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that anyone can report a business that is engaged in activity that violates Google's terms of service!

NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
NVC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I spoke with a google rep on the phone today. He told me I cannot report another business that is posting fake reviews or has clone websites if I am not associated with that business! How does that even make sense? If I am associated with the business, why would I report my own business of posting spam? Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that anyone can report a business that is engaged in activity that violates Google's terms of service!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It does no.

Try another rep?