My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can I get rid of this fake review? A fake individual provided our business with a 1 star and a negative comment. In my investigative efforts, I contact all individuals with this name who reside in the US and more specifically Texas. They have either indicated they never have been to our business  location or to the city itself. The review was written by and individual using a fake name to bring down our ratings. I have contacted, flagged and wrote to Google support and they continue with no help!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Mr. H--can I call you Total?--sometimes people use fake names on the Internet. It's not against the law to use a pseudonym when writing online reviews. In fact, the First Amendment protects not only "free speech" but also the right to speak anonymously. (See https://www.virginiadefamationlawyer.com/2012/05/first-amendment-right-to-anonymous-internet-speech-... for a blog post I wrote a few years ago). So if an actual customer had a bad experience at your business and gave it a one-star review using a fake name, there's nothing you can do unless that particular fake name belongs to someone else whom the author is impersonating, in which case the review might violate Google's Terms of Service. On the other hand, if the author was never a customer, you might be able to sue for defamation on the theory that the author made an implied misrepresentation by suggesting to others that he or she was an actual customer with a bad experience. You can often uncover the person's identity in the course of litigation. (More about this in that blog post). So consider speaking with a lawyer if you suspect the author is a competitor or disgruntled former employee and not an actual customer.

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lee E B,

I've been checking our reviews and there are many from fake accounts. I know it is not against the law but when checking them they used my name and the owner name to post the review, and this is against the law. Also, when checking the reviews they commented terrible things about our store and give an awesome review to themselves, and this is all the activity for that email, I believe this is also not legal.

Is there anyway you can help us?

Thanks,

Fake Review

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @Total H,

Could you please mention the complete name, address of your listing?

Thank you.

Re: Fake Review

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi @Josh T,

In case you are not a representative of the same business that @Total H represents, we'd be happy to help, but please create a new thread for your issue as it helps us keep the forum organised and enables us to give the original poster the deserved attention.

To create a new thread, please go to this link: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB, select an appropriate board and click on the big red circle that is found in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

Thank you.

@Josh T wrote:

Hi Lee E B,

I've been checking our reviews and there are many from fake accounts. I know it is not against the law but when checking them they used my name and the owner name to post the review, and this is against the law. Also, when checking the reviews they commented terrible things about our store and give an awesome review to themselves, and this is all the activity for that email, I believe this is also not legal.

Is there anyway you can help us?

Thanks,

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh. I'd like to help you, but unlike these SEO gurus who live and operate all over the world, my law license allows me to practice in the United States only (specifically, Washington D.C. and Virginia). You'll need to speak with an Australian lawyer for help down your way. Best of luck!

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You sent this to the wrong Josh T. (ie not me) Mahalo Brah

Fake Review

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Yes, apologies @Josh T, it's hard to distinguish between users of the same name when tagging someone on this forum.

Fake Review

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Total Harmony Yoga San Antonio TX

Re: Fake Review

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi @Total H,

I presume that this is the listing for your business that you are referring to?:

a) Name: Total Harmony Yoga

b) Address: 555 W Bitters Rd, San Antonio, TX 78216, USA

c) Google Maps URL: https://www.google.com/maps?cid=16664396979461470266

Also, that the review that you are referring to is this one that is made by a "Ally Wright"?:

Google Maps -_ Total Harmony Yoga -_ Review -_ Ally Wright.png

If yes, then I'm afraid I can't do much here except to suggest that you flag the review using the option in Google My Business (Google My Business Help -> Flag inappropriate reviews), which you probably have done already.

Maybe, a moderator on this forum can escalate your case. However, honestly, I wouldn't be optimistic as I've seen many similar cases where Google hasn't removed reviews like this.

Thank you.