My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Today we noticed that 3 weeks ago a user left a 1 star rating for our business on Google reviews.
There is no comment, just the one star rating from a name that isn't one of our customers or even had an enquiry from. This is also the only rating this person has left.

We suspect this is a competitor who wanted to bring down our 5 star rating.

I have contacted Google directly but because there is no comment left, they say they cannot do anything as it doesn't violate the Google policy.
Is there any way of getting this escalated as it seems too easy to post 1 star ratings without comment and there is no way of having these reviewed by Google. There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this multiple times for malicious purposes.

We spend thousands of pounds a year on adwords and this could all be pointless and a waste without a proper system for dealing with fake reviews.

Fake Negative Reviews

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you will never be able to get that removed, because just as Google told you, there is no written commentary behind the one star.  It is essentially "untouchable".  The best recommendation I could give you is to push for more reviews from your customers to help push that one star down.  You could even go as far as responding to the one star review in a professional manner expressing concern, and how you'd like to make it right with them.

Re: Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you.

I have posted a reply along these lines but it's highly frustrating because
it's all too easy for people to ruin years of hard work with a few quick 1
star no comment review.
Unless people go into the reviews themselves all they see on the main
Google results is the stars.

It wouldn't be that hard to have a system where bad ratings can be put
under review until a proof of transaction or communication is given like
some review sites already do.
Google is very powerful and should take some responsibilities when it
affects businesses.

Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We had the same thing happen and apparently if they don't write anything, they can get away with it. We know that the person who left the review is a competitor because his name is known to us, but there is nothing we can do about it.

Fake Negative Reviews

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Once again, I'm truly sorry that happened to you.  I agree there are several things they could do to investigate and help with those fake reviews, but in the end I agree with what I read somewhere once, that if Google doesn't receive money from it (in this Case Google My Business), they set it as a low priority.

Re: Fake Negative Reviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I get that but if they are not prepared to manage it properly because it's
free, they shouldn't offer it at all.
They are affecting people's livelihood.
You know what they say: with great power comes great responsibilities.