My Business
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Account Leaves Fake Review To Hurt Our Business After Gun Threat

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We recently had a mass shooting threat to our office.  We had to temporarily move our office while we had the police resolve the issue.    Since our return you can imagine our employees being on edge.   

Since then we had a 1 star review show up that specifically names people in our office as well as accuses us of age discrimination, and goes on to rant about their 'negative experience' working at our company.  The clincher is the profile it comes from is named "Jessica Jones" in which I tried to explain to the outsourced customer service people for Google My Business that this is the name of a Marvel superhero. Unfortunately that perhaps did not translate.  

We outlined multiple reasons as to why this should be removed not only mentioning the gun threat we had at our office and how we believe this person is responsible for this review, but listed reasons as to why it violates content policies listed on the support page. Citing conflict of interest (by them claiming they worked at our company even though we never had anyone named "Jessica Jones" work at our company EVER) but also it is clearly a personal rant but what the "Google My Business" support team fails to consider is how this is affecting the morale of our team by this review specifically put up to hurt our reputation, but a deeper threat by them naming people that work at our office and also how it describes how our company discriminates based on age.  

The staff refused to even "escalate" it – whatever that means – since they couldn't even give the courtesy as to why they refused to communicate with us how it "does not violate policy" and will remain. After calling multiple times to get a reason why the only thing they could say again and again was that it does not violate anything and goes on to tell us how to respond to it.   

The people at the office are ridiculously rude, they talk over you with the same line again and again.  They lack any comprehension skills and should not even be working phones.  Not to mention how the entire system works.  We have since had employees leave because they feel this review is a threat to them especially since they list their names in the review.    We asked them to consider when the account was created and how they haven't left any other reviews and still they persist that they can only make decisions based on the content.    At some point they asked us to send them our employee list?!?  

I mean, when I tell you this has been the most infuriating experience we have ever endured just to get one review removed. They also went on to explain how ex-employees are allowed to leave reviews yet it says that nowhere in the policy guidelines...  Shame on Google for allowing a team like this interact with their customers.    How do we get this removed?!?Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 1.50.14 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Can you please post the details about your business? I have no idea what listing you're referring to.  Please list the name, address, phone # and website.

Also, list the link to the review in question if possible.

I see you tried to add a screenshot but it didn't upload properly.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey @Damian W

I'm not seeing anything about the review that violates Google's review guidelines.  The review doesn't mention anything about the gun threat so I feel like I might be missing how that is relevant to the review removal.

You are correct that the guidelines say employees should not review the business they work for.  The problem I see with this is that all the reviews I saw on there (I only scanned through) are from employees. They all reference what it's like to work there. I worked for a door-to-door company years ago that seemed to have a similar set up and the "customers" of the company I worked for were the employees since the actual people I sold to were buying another product/service from another company, which I sold them.  If I used that as a reason to remove this review, Google would most likely remove all your reviews since some of the positive ones start with things like:

"This is a great place to work"

"This job has really helped me"...etc

As far as "Jessica Jones" being the person's name - Google is completely fine with people using usernames instead of their real names when posting online.  This is what makes it almost impossible to prove someone's identity. It's possible she didn't want to use her real name in fear of retaliation.  Google won't remove a review for this reason.

You are right that it sounds like a rant, but that's not against Google's guidelines.  Most negative reviews do read like rants.  

I know that probably wasn't the answer you were hoping for but I don't think Google will remove this review.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thank you for that response.   and no i did not say that the gun threat was in the review itself, but the things they mention in the review are the people that this terrorist has the issue with.  They specifically are using names that they threatened when at office.   Moreover it says right here in the policy guidelines to "Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience, or that are not about the specific place you’re reviewing. Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary or personal rants."    This is most definitely a forum for their own social commentary and is formed like a rant.   Thoughts?

We'd be fine if they took all the reviews down if they are talking about working at our company... but this one we know is the same person that threatened us with a mass shooting....  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Google is not a forum for past employees to go on rants about their experience working there. That is saved for Glassdoor.  And in no way does this make them a customer because they never purchased a product from us, nor have we ever provided them a service so there is no basis for this review to be here in the first place.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Damian W I can bring it up and see what they say.  I just have a feeling if they remove it, they will remove the majority of the others you have too.  I will let you know when I hear back.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you.   This is very helpful.   

We feel that this is violating these policies:

• Impersonation: Don’t post reviews on behalf of others or misrepresent your identity or connection with the place you’re reviewing.

(we never had a Jessica Jones work with us so they are misrepresenting themselves.)

Off-topic reviews:  Reviews aren’t meant to be a forum for general political or social commentary or personal rants.

(This specific review is clearly a personal rant)

• Keep it clean: Don’t use obscene, profane, or offensive language. We’ll also remove reviews that represent personal attacks on others.

(They are accusing people at our office of age discrimination and is a personal attack. and also using names of people who work at our office.)

• Hate Speech: We don't allow reviews that advocate against groups of people based on their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

(They felt the need to include our ages that we are all in our mid-twenties as a negative and is itself age discrimination.)

Thank you for your time on this. the people in our office are scared that this person is indirectly threatening us by including names of people that work at our company and also just wants to hurt our company.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm curious. If Google had a page we could leave reviews on their Goole MY Business page, and I made up an account named Mickey Mouse and said the exact same things as are said in "Jessica Jones" review how quickly that would be taken down...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

They do have a listing :)

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Googleplex/@37.4219999,-122.0840575,15z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x6c296...

Owner of Sterling Sky