My Business
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Effects of inconsistent citations due to hidden / non-hidden addresses

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In the process of building local citations, it's the case that some sites, like Google+, allow you (actually, require you) to hide your street address if you are a service area business, whereas others require you to display your street address (or, what is the same, do not give you the ability to hide it). This leads to inconsistent listings across directories, which is supposed to be a bad thing, but which is unavoidable, unless a service area business such as my own is willing to limit their local citations to the few sites that offer the equivalent of Google's "I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location" checkbox. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this situation harms your SEO standing with Google? If so, is there any remedy?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ryan K (Community Manager)
January 2016

Re: Effects of inconsistent citations due to hidden / non-hidden addre

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chuck, whether or not the site displays the address will not impact the consistency of the citation profile. As long as the address you are inputting is always the same you will be fine.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Re: Effects of inconsistent citations due to hidden / non-hidden addre

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks a lot Colan, that's reassuring, because there really is no way around it that I can see.

What concerned me was this report from Express Update: :http://www.expressupdate.com/my/places/UT5ZTBCP/listings

It flags all the hidden addresses as "errors" that need to be "fixed," i.e., business profile "mismatches."