My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

E-store, no physical address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I am wanting to use Google My Business for getting people to my site and not to my physical address, for it is my home. I sell everything online. But GMB wants an address? Is there anything I can do to work around putting my home address? I don't have a storefront.

Thanks,

Anna 

Exquisite Hair with Anna

exquisitelocs.com

Re: E-store, no physical address

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @anna g

**EDIT** Please see comments above from @Flash re the specific guidelines and when it's OK and NOT OK to use this approach.

There is a way to get around it when you don't serve customers from your physical address or shopfront.

In Google MyBusiness, under the 'INFO' tab:

1. Check YES for 'I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location'

2. Specify the individual locations or radius that you service/deliver to

3. Uncheck the box 'I also serve customers at this business address'

This will hide your address from the public and use 'service/delivery area' instead.

See screen shot below.

I hope this helps.

google-mybusiness-location.jpg

Note: You will still need to use a mailing address to verify the business via postcard unless the phone option is available.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm sorry, but the previous information is incorrect.

Google My Business is for local businesses that serve customer face-to-face.  As such, online stores are not permitted.

For online stores you should be concentrating on your organic ranking in Google Search, not on Google My Business.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Flash 

A physical address is still required to verify as I mentioned. Seems the original query here was around not wanting to display a home address or have it made public, which this solution does satisfy.

I've seen this done and active on Google MyBusiness, so yes, it definitely does work (also backed up in another forum post).

Here is a live example of a how it looks with a Google MyBusiness map showing service area and no physical address displayed:

google-map-service-area.jpg

**EDIT** It seems you are correct about 'online stores not being permitted' if they do not service clients at their location.

Agreed that it's important to focus on building rankings in order to drive traffic to the website.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anna G
March

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mark,

As I stated, Google My Business is only for local businesses that do face to face business with their customers.  The live example you have provided is against guidelines.

The option to hide the address is for businesses such as home based plumbers that go to the customer's location.  Setting a service area over about 20kms serves no purpose, a business will only show in results for which it is truly nearby, even if the address is hidden.

The basic guidelines for GMB state (with emphasis added by myself):

In order to qualify for a Google My Business listing, a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours.

and

Brands, organizations, artists, and other online-only businesses aren't eligible for Google My Business listings.

In your own screenshot please note the "Important Information" link.  The help page it takes you to states:

If your business serves customers at their locations, then you should list it as a service area business on Google.

This time the emphasis was added by Google, they are stressing that you must actually be going to their locations to provide your services.

For a third reference you can go to Welcome to GMB page in the help files.  After talking about how GMB is a service for local businesses, it ends with a section entitled "Is Google My Business for you?".  It asks you to choose from two options:

• I manage a shop front or service-area business
  • I manage an online-only business

If you choose the second option you are told:

Unfortunately, Google My Business only serves businesses that make in-person contact with customers, and doesn’t serve online-only businesses. Find out more about eligibility for Google My Business.

I could go on with even more examples, but I think that's enough to show that Google has made it very clear that online businesses do not qualify for GMB and that GMB is only for businesses that do face-to-face business with their customers.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Fair points and thank you for the additional info, that's great information.

I should be clear - with the example given that the business here does go to clients locations to provide services, so is not in any violation of guidelines.

I will however edit my original response so it's not mistakenly misleading.

Thank you for clearing that up :)

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Setting the service area to the entire country would be in violation, as it is then a "local business" as stressed so many times in the guidelines as being a requirement to be on GMB.

As stated, a large service area serves no purpose anyway, so to bring it into compliance the service are should be scaled back to the actual area where it would travel to meet their clients on a normal business day; usually being the same city.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No need to argue with the facts. I wasn't very clear with everything so I came here to ask. Thanks for providing this info, Flash and thanks to Mark for commenting as well. One day I'll have a store front, or GMB will make something for online businesses too. 

Peace, love and blessings!

AG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!