My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Does the Business Get a Notification When We Add Photos ?

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hello Google My Business Team, I was wondering if the Business Owner Get's Notified in Google My Business when I or any person uploads and image to the listing ?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does the Business Get a Notification When We Add Photos ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @williamrock, no they do not. 

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Bummer, as it really needs too :) As a Local Guide I have found a lot more Image Spam like this one .. as it would be Awesome if the company owner could get notified . So they can delete images like this one ..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/McKeever's+Price+Chopper/@38.8860019,-94.721694,3a,75y,90t/data=!3...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Even if you did get notification, you still can't delete another users uploaded image.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Agreed Tim, but it would at least it would be easier to know something has been added to the business listing and at the least allow the webmaster to flag the image ..

For example I have now uploaded over 2K in images to over 1.5k of businesses listings as a #LocalGuide and of course I do my best to get the highest quality image to these listings otherwise I don't upload ..

However, with that we have seen others with low quality blurry images and or images from a competitor ..

I am just thinking it would be nice to have :)

Thx

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@williamrock, I think one of the issues is that Google is trying to satisfy distinct groups of people with different priorities and aims, and it doesn't quite work out.

You and I are active in the Local Guides programme, which really encourages people to upload images to businesses with the whole process being 'gamified' and incentivized: you get points (and other benefits)! So long as the image pertains to the business, then it's unlikely for the image to be removed. Businesses understandably want to present themselves in a professional manner, and Google provides that facility but not (total) control, hence e.g. inappropriate images being chosen to represent them.

I'm not sure if Google has found the right balance between user-generated content and the ability for businesses to control their presence. Quality control and spam detection need improvement: I think the quality requirement / threshold should be higher for uploaded images, but then Google wouldn't want to discourage people from uploading images by setting the bar too high. If Google can't satisfy everyone, then at least it should attempt to keep everyone equally dissatisfied?

Just as a snapshot, there are a couple of discussions going at the moment in different communities, and it'd be interesting to see how different group perceive the problem:

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Very succinct @wasaweb

I recently reported old images of menus for a business after it had not been removed after 2 weeks of reporting.

So I escalated and it has come back down the line as it wont be removed because it does not violate GMB image guidelines.

So a bad, out of date image wont be removed, the only thing that will be removed is an image that does not pertain to the business.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Thank You Guys :)