My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google representatives physically visit locations?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I work in marketing for a physical therapy company. One of our clinic directors sent me a message yesterday saying:

"A staff member stated that yesterday someone from Google walked into the clinic and said she was “updating our location” She stood in the clinic and then left.  Weird??? I do not know what to do about that."

Does Google actually send real employees to locations just to check/update business listings? I know there are plenty of ways for the community to make suggested edits to listings, but does Google encourage people to actually walk into locations where they otherwise have no business being there? How does Google recommend handling these situations?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Josh, that is rather interesting.  My initial thoughts is it was not a real Google Staff Member (my thoughts are that they would have handed them a business card or something more official if they were from Google).  My thought would be is that it was a Google Local Guide, just trying to earn points...  You can learn more about Google Local Guides by visiting https://maps.google.com/localguides/

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Josh F
March 2017

Re: Does Google representatives physically visit locations?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Josh F

I know from my country Germany Google does really check sometimes the physical location of a busines.

But I would always request from persons coming into the business "as Google reps" any good proof they are from Google and also being vigilant what they are checking regarding the business listing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nate and Helmut! Good feedback.

I did not know about the local guide program. I will also be sure that our front office personnel ask for better proof about their connection with Google.