My Business
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Developing my GMB page harmed its ranking. What happened?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

A year ago, in an apparent semi-recovery from algorithmic penalty that had moved my site down from the first page of Google to several pages back for all keyword combinations, Google mysteriously began to place my site on the first page of their search results, but only for the specific keyword combination "jazz bands new york" ("bands" plural, not singular), and tied it to a completely undeveloped Google Plus page with zero reviews on it, but only for that keyword combination.

Inspired by this unexpected development, last Winter and Spring I developed my Google Plus Local Business page with lots of useful videos and photos, increased the review count from 0 to 13 (all real and all five star, by the way), linked my YouTube page to it, and, on Google’s advice and against my better judgment, closed down my other Google Plus Local Business pages related to other business services I market on the web (I’m a graphic designer and videographer in addition to being a bandleader). I also cleaned up my local directory listings so far as possible, removing listings for my competing businesses (again, against my better judgment), making the format of my business address and contact information consistent, and added this information to the footer of all the pages on my site.

Since then, my site is now entirely removed from the first several pages of Google’s search results, including for the keyword combination "jazz bands new york.” On occasions when my site can be located (several pages down), it is no longer associated with my Google Plus Local Business page, unless one searches specifically for my site’s name, New York Jazz Events (which nobody does, because 99.9% of people searching on Google don't yet know my business name). (For this single exception my site appears at the top of the results, along with the Google Plus Local Business page, or "knowledge graph.")

So my specific questions related to this are: Why did Google make a link between my site and my Google Plus Local Business page back when the page was undeveloped? Why did Google then break that link (stop the association my website with their business page, apart from the exception noted above) once the Google Plus Local Business page was developed? And indeed, why wouldn't developing that page logically result in more search term combinations bringing my results back to the first page, along with the link to the Google Plus Local Business page, rather than the opposite?

More importantly, if anyone understands the answers to any of these particular questions, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give regarding this particular issue.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Developing my GMB page harmed its ranking. What happened?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
its a long story to read. But unfortunately very unspecic and therefore less helpful as wished to better helping you.
Why?
Simplemente as we don;t get from the story the information about what G+ busines page yo are talking.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Helmut G!

Sorry for the obvious omission; here is the Google + business page: http://tinyurl.com/or4w8qx

Here is the website it should be associated with: http://tinyurl.com/mo8bxa7
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm not sure 

But according  my experience all service are businesses with a hidden address and having  a radius of more as  about 30 miles are bad for ranking matters.

Your radius is about 65 miles or so.

Screenshot 2015-11-09 at 22.23.18.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Helmut G,

Thanks a lot for your insight and advice. It's easy enough to lower my radius to 30 minutes, even though, in fact, as musicians, we easily and routinely travel farther away. As for the address, since we travel to customers (to perform) rather than the other way around, and conduct our business by phone and email, I thought what was correct was not to show a business address (especially since I run my business from home (i.e., my laptop and phone which are usually at home) and don't want to raise any zoning issues). But I could change that as well if you think it could have a significant effect on my rankings. Incidentally, one problem not showing my address raises is that on my local citations (with Yelp, etc.), some companies allow me to hide my address, others not, so having some show and some not creates an inconsistency. In other words, if I show my full address on my Google + business page, then I would show my full address everywhere else which would increase the consistency of the form of my citations around the web, which, I'm presuming, might also help my SEO.

Both these issues are somewhat frustrating because, apparently in some instances like these, doing what's right (not providing the full address a physical retail outlet because I'm not a physical retail outlet) or providing the most accurate information (an honest, accurate travel radius) can result in a penalty of sorts from Google. But I'm happy to compromise these types of things if doing so would bring better results—I'm dependent on pleasing Google.

What do you think?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Nope I did not recommend to change your G+ page as a "brick and mortar" business at your home - showing then your address.

Just thought about the radius of actually about 100 Km - give it a try making it smaller.
Not sure it helps. Just consider it a try

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good day Chuck, I wonder if you where able to resolve your situation, which it happen to be the same I'm in right now. Same: I'm service provider, home base, hidden address, 40 miles radius service.

Moz dose not see, my G+ or google place even my google those not see it!.

I have several all legit reviews google reviews.

google.com/+TruckletteringNyc

Thank you in advance.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Uma, Sorry, I didn't notice your question until now. No, never resolved my situation. I can't begin to name all of the problems I have with Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chuck B,

Thanks for the response, better late than never