My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Delete Google Map Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I got a google my business map pin when I was running my business out of my home. I now have an office location and DO NOT WANT my home location showing up when my business is googled!!! I have tried to have the pin moved to my current business address but when I try to request a postcard with the verification code I get a message that google is having a problem with this function and to they again later. I have been trying for a couple weeks and still no change. In the meantime I have changed the status of my map listing to "closed" but the address and picture of my home are still visible. As my business grows I am concerned about privacy and safety issues and want this information removed ASAP! I don't know how to have this deleted without deleting my gmail email account which I still use for my business. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Delete Google Map Listing

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Allison N

Deleting your profile and even your gmail account won't actually help. Deleting a profile out of your dashboard doesn't remove it from the back-end system, all it does is unverify the listing. 

That's curious that the postcard sending function is broken. I have no idea what would cause that, contact Google small business support, maybe they could initiate it on their end. You can contact them on twitter, Facebook, or by phone.

In the meantime, the fastest way to get your address hidden while you're trying to figure out how to change your address, is by changing the business to a service area business. Most business owners with their listing at home need to have it set as a service area business anyway. If you don't accept customer walk-ins at any time during your stated business hours, you need to be a service area business. Depending on your business type, unless you have a secretary you may need to hide your address still even after your change it to your office. 

You can hide your address by following these instructions. In the address section of your Google My Business dashboard, you'll select "I deliver goods and services to my customers at their locations." and unselect "I serve customers at my business address". Hope that helps!

Edit: Joy Hawkins, one of the TCs here wrote a great guide for best practices when changing your address for a Google My Business profile. It's worth the read.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Delete Google Map Listing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Please include the following with your question for the old location and the new location:
1. Full business name
2. Current business address
3. Current telephone number
4. Google+ URL